Trying to get some info on problems.

This is a discussion on Trying to get some info on problems. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It all started with my motor overheating for short periods of time only to go back to normal temp. It ...

Trying to get some info on problems.

It all started with my motor overheating for short periods of time only to go back to normal temp. It stopped doing this for a few months then started doing it again only to get worse. It wasn't a significant change but when it would overheat it would stay overheated for longer. It would do this sometimes while I was driving and other times when I would park. One day I was driving and coolant started overflowing out of the overflow tank. I shut the car off and when I started it back up it would do the same thing. I also was smelling the sweet smell through my vents. All signs lead to a blown head gasket from what I read and what I was told. So I park the car, and months later when it finally got torn apart, a friend who knows a bit about cars and repairs who works on cars often, suggested that I take the head to a machine shop to get the head milled, cleaned, etc. I was told that their was corrosion on my intake manifold (had to be resurfaced), and that there was a chuck out of the head. He told me that the chuck was most likely caused by a thrown bearing.

My questions are
    Could a thrown bearing be the cause of the chunk missing on my head?
    Was the corrosion on the intake manifold caused by the car sitting for months after having the coolant leaks?

I was told that the guy from the machine shop would rebuild the bottom end for an additional $650 which I absolutely don't have, and as I have waited about 6 months for this friend to pull the motor and get it fixed, I don't have any more time to wait. Sorry if terminology isn't exactly correct, I don't exactly know to much about motors and what not. Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Were you knocking at all?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I don't believe I heard any knocking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you drained the oil, and was there metal in it or in the bottom of the filter? The oil would tell the tale of a spun bearing.

didn't see anything in the oil the last time it was changed and the guy working on it said he didn't see anything in the oil when he pulled the motor.