Having some knock readings, need advice.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Having some knock readings, need advice. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, I am tuned on a COBB 91 octane shelf map, but can only use 90 octane because I ...

Having some knock readings, need advice.

Hello everyone, I am tuned on a COBB 91 octane shelf map, but can only use 90 octane because I live in Alaska and that is all we have. I decided it would be interesting to log in a morning run with the engine warmed up on my way to work. What I found was a little bit of feedback knock that I have never had in my countless other tests, does this look scary or should I not worry about it? Getting it tuned other than a third party tune is not an option for me as i am 300+ miles away from a tuner. No dyno in Alaska.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...XFhdkQ4Ny00OXc

Lemme know what you guys think, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's not in a good spot either - fairly high load and right before 4k.

I'm not sure where to go from your situation though. I'd keep an eye on it in the future and note if it is repeatable. It could have been a 'false positive'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

thanks heide I will take that into account, I will log again after work.

If you want a pro tune, there are several tuners that do email tunes.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had some similar knock, though my mods and tune are different. There are a few steps you can take....I did option 1 below, which fixed mine up nicely.

Option 1
    First, colder plugs. Install, or have installed, some plugs that are one step colder.

Second, get the cobb access tuner race software (free download from them, you just have to register for it). Then you can modify the map to make it slightly richer right around the knock area.

Option 2
    get an e-mail tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    The knock is right after you peg the throttle. Try starting your pull around 2K (instead of 3K) and see if you still knock in those cells.

Make this log a bit more specific (so you get better resolution). Log only the following:
    Load
    RPM
    DAM
    FBKC
    FLKC
    Ignition Timing
    Boost
    Throttle
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-14-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hey demon any plugs you suggest? Thank you guys for the look, I will take that into account EJ, I am going to start pulling around 2k in third. not sure why I started at 3k ><

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah....

NGK Iridium IX LFR7AIX 2309
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Amazon.com: 4 New NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug LFR7AIX # 2309: Automotive, seems like a good deal 4 pack for 30 bucks, those are the ones you were talking about right? And I need 4?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, that is a good deal (brick and mortar store price is about $44)....yes those are the right ones, and yes you need 4.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Word of advice from personal experience, they are difficult to install due to location. From what I was told by my dealer (I paid to have them installed after 3 separate failed 1-2 hour attempts), you would need to unbolt the engine from the mounts and either shift it to one side, or tilt it so that you have room to get to the rear plug on each side.

it is a good thing they are supposed to be good for 100K miles
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

holy heck! what did the dealer cost?! And did you notice any differences with those spark plugs in? I'm just hoping this minor knock is just a small inconvenience and nothing to do with my 90 octane on a 91 tune. And dude, go Pirates.

And does over boosting have to do with anything? I'm getting up to 18 psi and my tune says 16.8 psi trickling down to 14 psi at redline (7000)

oh and devil. I do have the access tuner race software.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmath View Post
    holy heck! what did the dealer cost?! And did you notice any differences with those spark plugs in? I'm just hoping this minor knock is just a small inconvenience and nothing to do with my 90 octane on a 91 tune. And dude, go Pirates.
    My knock issue was decreased by about 40-45% with the colder plugs, then eliminated by tweeking the fuel map. It was over a year ago, so I don't remember exact cost, but I think it was about $120....my dealer charges $90 an hour. A regular mechanic would likely be less.

And does over boosting have to do with anything? I'm getting up to 18 psi and my tune says 16.8 psi trickling down to 14 psi at redline (7000)
    Which map are you on? Which version? (current versions are MTv 300)

Stage1 91 is ~15psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~13psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 0.8psi.
    Stage2 91 is ~17.0psi tapering down to ~13.0psi by the 7000 RPM redline, +/- 0.8psi.

Over boosting is not good, but if you are on the stage2 91 you are only over by 0.2 psi....which is not much.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the ACN maps? I am throwing this out there for more input from other members, but if 91 octane is not available up there, would using an ACN 91 map be safer??? Don't use the ACN maps without someone who knows them chiming in.

oh and devil. I do have the access tuner race software.
    Yes I do....though I had to get help at CF12 to figure out how to use it....we can walk you through it.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.