bogging out.. help!!

This is a discussion on bogging out.. help!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright so my 03 wrx has catless up pipe down pipe. recently put a cobb intake to match my tune, ...

bogging out.. help!!

alright so my 03 wrx has catless up pipe down pipe. recently put a cobb intake to match my tune, stage 2 with my cobb ap.
    now heres my problem.
    when im in 3rd gear or so and step on it, it seems to bog out, the engine shakes pretty bad. limiting my power by what seems to be 50% it wont really let me take it up to redline or really past 4500 rpms.
    i just put the cobb intake on and thinkin it could be this? but how..
    i plan on taking it to subaru soon..
    but i want to hear why you guys have to say..ANYTHING helps really, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the map you are using support the intake?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yes, but i somehow think its still sucking up too much air/running too lean? what do you think

I Support ClubWRX
    The 4,5k rpm comment made me think there is a fueling problem or mixture problem. Are you sure everything is installed correctly with the new intake? If you have the capacity consider data logging.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well like 4ish ya i mean its a pretty simple install. lol
    also sometimes my check engine light comes on and says im running lean.
    spark plugs? not really sure

I Support ClubWRX
    What is the code? PO171?

Doesn't sound like plugs. Post and search the code.

I Support ClubWRX
    Put the stock intake on and see if the problem goes away. And like Spiros said,we need the actual code number.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yea thats the code p0171. the cel would come on before I put the intake on. Donkey I plan on doing that today. Any other ideas?

I put a cone filter on my 09 wrx and im going through the same thing. I thought it was the mass air flow sensor thats not done right since i made the intake. Im not sure what it is, but i thought a tune would be the solution. I only have a cat back and BOV, but the BOV is atmospheric which im bout to recirculate it to see if that helps. If anybody got any solutions let me know too. Thanks

ya i cleaned my maf. i didnt remove the silencer? could that be it!? im rackin my brain over here.. lol

I Support ClubWRX
    The silencer is not the issue.

For PO171:
    Intake leak
    Boost leak
    Boost solenoid connections
    Dirty or faulty MAF
    Incorrect MAF placement
    Incorrect MAF connection
    Incorrect intake
    FPR fault
    FPR reference disconnected
    and so on; have a search for more.

However you have at least one of the above (incorrect intake) and may have another too since the CEL would come on before the intake swap.

To the poster with the 09 and the BOV, that part is listed as one of the faults above -- an intake leak. However in your case I'd expect a PO172 instead.

Incidentally when you clean the MAF be sure to spray into the tube itself. The visible probe is a temp sensor; the air flow sensor itself is buried at the base of the tube and will not be immediately obvious. Then place the MAF such that the harness faces to the nose of the car.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-10-2012 at 11:47 AM.

im kinda leaning toward boost leak.. since im pushing maybe 13 lbs in stage 2 when i used to push a little more. i messed around with a bov in the past. didnt care too much for it and i had a leak when i put it on. alright ill try cleaning it more. fingers crossed!

2009 wrx. So I recirculated my bov and that didn't help. NO ENGINE Code though. I just stopped about 4500rpm I made my intake so from the S PIPE i put a 3" by 3" long pipe and put the filter on it. Does anyone think its to short or something? I really just wanted to make the turbo louder so thats why I did this. BTW it does sound awesome! lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I thought you were using the Cobb intake?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

just made my own....