Gear/transmission oil change question. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Gear/transmission oil change question. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I tend to use regular Valvoline in the white bottles and at one point so apparently did my dealer. Shop ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I tend to use regular Valvoline in the white bottles and at one point so apparently did my dealer. Shop around though because even that is $8 per bottle or so depending on where you buy, and if it's more you may as well get Extra-S.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Last edited by tebriel; 08-10-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tebriel View Post
    Let us know where you find it, I need to do a full fluid change too.
    I ended up ordering from 42 auto. It was $75 shipped for 5 bottles. Enough for trans and diff. For 4 bottles, it was $65, so it wasn't worth the tiny saving to get 4 bottles of the stuff and 1 bottle of some other stuff online.

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://42autosports.3dcartstores.com...luid_p_14.html

I crawled under and mine was a regular hex bolt. Assuming I was looking at the right one, which was about a foot aft of the oil drain plug, right in the middle.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

Is regular teflon tape from Home Depot/Lowes ok to use for the trans/diff drain plugs?
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

My trans oil is still golden clear anyway, so I'm not in a huge rush to replace it. Haven't checked diff yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. Also, I used silicone from Autozone on the rear diff drain plug. Small tube, inexpensive.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the suggestion, shadowpr. Advanced auto had a nice coupon code so was able to get a tube of that stuff and some other things for a decent price.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

Finally got it all done yesterday. Transmission, differential fluid, motor oil/filter change - all of it took about 2.5 hours.

The stuff that came out of the rear diff was pretty nasty looking, while the transmission fluid looked new and clear. Nothing significant on the magnets for both, just shavings with a few very tiny pieces. The POS pump I got slowed us down quite a bit. Took about 25 minutes to pump not quite 1 qt into the rear. I need a better solution for next time.

For front and rear, I went through about 4 quarts of the Extra S. Glad I got it all done, and thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Next on the list, spark plugs and fuel filter.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a good spark plug instructional thread that made my life somewhat easier. Not a picnic by any stretch but feasible. I disliked the plug replacement. Have a look at that other thread if you like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.