Torn CV joint boot? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Torn CV joint boot? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've replaced the boot a couple of different times with terrific success (kit from NAPA ~). Remember to put the ...

I've replaced the boot a couple of different times with terrific success (kit from NAPA ~$20). Remember to put the bearings back in the same spot they came off of if its an inner boot tear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

UPDATE: the transmission mount method works well. Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the mount to the tranny, remove the spring pin from the axle, shove trans away from axle using whatever method you can think of. I bet jacking it up a tiny bit is probably the easiest. Axle should drop right off of the trans splines.

This will for sure not work for 05+.

My huge challenge was that my axle was seized up in the hub itself. PITA, real PITA. Ended up having to get an air hammer and pound that mofo out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine was seized also and was not fun.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the help, guys.
    Sadly, I already paid to get it fixed. But I'm not too upset. It wound up being like $258 at the Midas near me. Part of me wishes I would have waited to try it myself, but from calling around, I got the impression that this was a pretty good price. Either way, I'm just happy it's fixed.

If I had known it would've been this much pain I would've paid the 200 to have someone else do it. With the parts and the new tools I had to buy, it's not going to be much cheaper than that anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12