HELP: need help diagnosing a no start condition
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELP: need help diagnosing a no start condition within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 wrx with sti turbo, sti pink injectors, full injen exhaust down pipe and short ram intake. ...

Angry HELP: need help diagnosing a no start condition

I have a 2002 wrx with sti turbo, sti pink injectors, full injen exhaust down pipe and short ram intake. everything else is stock. air fuel gauge reads 11.1 at wot 14.8 at idle and leans out off the throttle.
    i have to drive the car 700 miles back to vemont from school and i have a starting issue. its sporadic at best. my starting and charging system checks out as good through all test and my air is fine i have found no leaks anywhere.
    this problem started about 3 weeks ago but i cant pin it down because its not throwing codes.
    on random starts the car will crank strong and turn over as soon as it reaches a 1000 rpms off crank it drops off its face and shuts off killing it self. if i give it a little throttle it will stay running but i shouldnt need to do that.
    on other random starts the car will crank but wont turn over for atleast a hour. it seems to do this right after a 15 or 20 minute drive and the vehicle shuts off after the turbo timer cycle of 40 seconds.
    during koeo i can hear the fuel pump cycle so i am to believe its a possible fuel filter but i am so frustrated at this point im asking for some real help. i would deffinitley appreciate some tech to tech help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you properly remapped the ECU?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a problem with that turbotimer. In reality, you shouldn't even have one installed.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

The ecu has been remapped. And the car was actually running like a champ till about 3 weeks ago when this started. Im testinh fiel pressure at the rail tommarow. How could you pin point it down if it was the turbo timer. I apreciate the help i am becomi g frustrated with it and running out of ideas because it went from running 100% to this

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try cleaning the crank and cam sensors. Unplug the MAF sensor and see if the car runs.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Im an idiot i just remembered that the fuel rail doesn't have the schrader valve like most other cars do so i dont have the meens to check fuel pressure. i think your right though i have read about some other people who had a similar issue and by cleaning off those sensors it helped. thats my next step but please keep the ideas coming ill post when its fixed. thanks for all the help. im having more help here than i am on nasioc

also if it helps. when its having one of its no start fits another car jumping it starts the car. what throws me about that is that battery is fully charged, alternator output is perfect as is cranking voltage.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Turbo timer is seriously in question here, as previously posted.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ok so basicley for the turbo timer to test it id pretty much have to disconnect it and run it without it. This is the first timer iv had issues with if it is indeed it. Could a faulty timer really cause thia kind of issue. I guess it seems weird that it would try to cut the engine after the inital start. Ill unplug it and see how it goes. Im in the process of clean the maf cnk and cmp sensors

so the car at operating engine temps would not turn over again today at about noon. i turned off the turbo timer and the car started up and got me home. about an hour later got in the car drove to the store and came out a half hour later with the car still at operating temp would not start period even with the turbo timer off. had to get a jump and it took two, three turns of the key before it would do that.
    that brings me to mabie the security system?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd keep checking the aftermarket electronic stuff, but if it is starting with a jump I'd swap in a good battery just to see. Maybe it can't sustain the current??
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i was thinking along the lines of a battery aswell so i put a full charge on the current one. its a 6 months old interstate battery with 550 cca's. i cleaned off the maf. im going to clean the ckp sensor next and the coolant sensor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Load test the battery.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Fuel filter need changing? Clogged injectors? MAF need cleaning?

But I also believe that a turbo timer (which like these guys have said, is completely unnecessary in turbo Subarus) could cause the problem. Its directly wired into the ignition/starter wiring of the car for it to function. Faulty connections or something like that could definitely lead to your issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I changed the oil and filter last week right on schedule . I cleaned the maf if yeaterday. I agree ab
    out the turbo timer so i shut it off. Drove to the store and wouldnt turn over when i came out. Im going to completley rip it out and try clipping the grounds an inch each so they all have new er tips. Whats the best way to test the coolent sensor? Just disconnect the connector or??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.