A/C
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A/C within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Not going to get too wordy on this but the A/C hasnt been working consistently in my car. ...

A/C

Hey guys,

Not going to get too wordy on this but the A/C hasnt been working consistently in my car. Im not much of an A/C person so when I do use it (rarely) it doesnt really feel like its blowing as cool as it should be. Tried recharging it today and it blew very nicely for a few minutes then went back to being weak. The compressor and the clutch seem to be in proper working order. Just having difficulty diagnosing the issue here (car is getting older, its an 05 WRX). Im wondering if it may be the evaporator because I noticed a significant amount of condensation underneath the car when I was finished charging the system. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspect leak or orifice tube from what you've said, but you'll need to get gauges on the system for the latter. Inspect visually for the former but a negative answer won't tell you anything.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Suspect leak or orifice tube from what you've said, but you'll need to get gauges on the system for the latter. Inspect visually for the former but a negative answer won't tell you anything.
    Was driving to work this morning and decided to give it a shot again. While driving with the air on it blows nice and cold. However I did notice that while driving with the A/C on at about 40 miles per hour in 4th gear, I can feel the compressor kicking on and cutting out seconds apart. Could the clutch be going on the compressor? Im not sure why it wouldnt stay engaged. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. thanks
    OBP 05 WRX sedan, Big Evo III 16G, STi 565 injectors, HKS S-type FMIC, HKS super mega flow intake, Walbro FP, Helix catted DP, HKS UP, SRS catback and so much more.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Both guesses are still possible. Search for a leak and/or put some gauges on it to see what your pressures are.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Cant seem to locate any leaks. Started the car and put the A/C on and went back to have a look under the hood and you can see the clutch engage for 2 to 3 second then suddenly stop. The car will cycle through this repeatedly without getting the clutch to stay engaged on the compressor. This is leading me to believe the A/C compressor and or Clutch pack is shot. When i changed my belts i did notice an odd colored dust gathering just below the plastic shroud adjacent to the AC compressor. Time to replace the compressor?

I Support ClubWRX
    Dust is not abnormal. Cycling as you describe is not unexpected if the refrigerant level is marginal due to a leak or if flow is not normal, so either guess from before still stands. Look for oily residue on or around any of the lines and consider putting gauges on the system before throwing components at it.

You're right man, I guess im just neurotic when things arent working right on my car I drive myself insane trying to solve the problem myself and I get paranoid. I have a friend at a shop close by who i'll have to rely on to help diagnose the issue.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good idea. Then you'll be sure what, if anything, you are facing and can make a balanced, informed decision.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to sound like a smart ass but just making sure.... You are aware that the system is designed to have the compressor cut off near WOT, right? So under hard acceleration on hot days the A/C will definitely seem a bit sporadic.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

no offense taken i read about that and i wasnt remotely close to WOT. cruising at 40 mph in 4th gear

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.