Royal Purple, Mobil 1 Oil question

This is a discussion on Royal Purple, Mobil 1 Oil question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I know there is A LOT of these posts out there and many people wont probably look at this. ...

Royal Purple, Mobil 1 Oil question

Well I know there is A LOT of these posts out there and many people wont probably look at this. I have been doing research for a couple hours now reading various post about oil and what weight to use as well as what oil works best with our flat four boxer engines. I just had a few 'specific' questions first off I see a lot of people running 5w-40 instead of the recommended 5w-30 that the manufacturer recommends. I have read up in the owners manual as well and was just wondering would it be okay to run 5w-40 in my engine? It's a 2002 2.0L not the 2.5L would this also be a good weight to run in the winter? It can get as cold as -30f here it's rare but can happen usually temps are around 10 to -5 F in the winter; I'm just trying to prevent oil consumption, my car will loose around 1 quart every 1k-2k miles. Upon further research I found people swear by shell Rotella T6 5W-40 they also say it helped prevent the oil consumption issue. To each is own everyone has there own opinion with oil and the oil they swear by I know this, it's all based upon opinion unless backed up by scientific proof. I am currently running royal purple and was going to switch to Mobil 1 5w-30 till I read about Mobil 1 I found more negative than positive, though don't get me wrong there were positive posts on the M1 oil.

Thanks to anyone that is willing to answer these specific questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes you can run 5W-40. Because your winters are severe you could consider 0W-40 or 0W-30 instead. I'd use the same oil year round and would find a 0W-xx that pumps in the cold and stays around enough in my motor. To do that you'll have to try some out.

In my opinion a good 5W-40 should work anywhere in the world inhabited by humans, but my opinion is useless. Only data matter. Pick an oil and find data from similar areas as yours.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.