How to prevent ringland - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on How to prevent ringland within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I seem to recall that it does not meet the specs in the owner's manual, but am probably wrong. Regardless ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I seem to recall that it does not meet the specs in the owner's manual, but am probably wrong. Regardless it is a waste of money IMO.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My local Subaru dealer and 4 Ringland issues in a row and they were all using royal purple. It's hard to say that oil was the culprit though.

I have heard nothing good about royal purple either. What oil does Subaru use? And would you guys recommend switching to synthetic right away or just wait until the warranty is over? Asking in regards to a new 2013 wrx.

Subaru oil is synthetic. I use T6. I like it. I don't think it meets the Resource Conserving standard that Subaru wants, but if it did that would make it ****ter oil.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    I have heard nothing good about royal purple either. What oil does Subaru use? And would you guys recommend switching to synthetic right away or just wait until the warranty is over? Asking in regards to a new 2013 wrx.
    In my 13 Sti and my previous (2) 2011 wrx's I had. I drove it for about 100-150 miles and then switched Rotella t6 5w-40. And none of my cars have ever had any oil consumption problems. The first few 100 miles are where particles will most likely break free from moving parts and end up in your oil. I just find it a good piece of mind to get the factory oil out and replace with a better oil for our engines. I have a friend that brings his car to Subaru and will only run Subaru oil in his 11 wrx and his car uses about 1.5qts every 3500 miles or so. It's a completely stock car also.

I'm currently running Redline 5w-30 in my 13 sti and am loving it as well. Could be my mind playing tricks but with the redline the valve train and engine in general just seems to have gotten a little quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by zefram47 View Post
    If this hasn't been posted here yet, it should be a sticky as it is on IWSTi.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

EJ engines are not inherently weak at stock power levels as was already said. According to this article, and the tuners represented in it, good power can be made safely so long as you don't treat it like a Civic and bolt parts on without a *good* tune. And if you don't know what you're doing, stay away from open source ECU tuning devices.
    Thank you!
    That was a good read

Based on this dude's rear licence plate, he has a Cobbs tune. Anyone know anything more about what happened to this fairly new car? 2011 STI engine failure - YouTube

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456