How to prevent ringland - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 83

This is a discussion on How to prevent ringland within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looks pretty easy I guess, but who wants to go thru that with a brand new car? I expect to ...

  1. #31
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Looks pretty easy I guess, but who wants to go thru that with a brand new car? I expect to go thru that afte years of molestation.
    A car is only as good as its driver

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This is just internet hysteria leading to paranoia. People don't make threads about "my car didn't break" usually.



    Click the arrow in the quote and read the whole thread.
    Such is true. Does the older wrx's and stis have the same aluminum EJ series' motor?
    A car is only as good as its driver

  4. #33
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,927
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This is just internet hysteria leading to paranoia. People don't make threads about "my car didn't break" usually.
    ^^This.

    This is the same reason I take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. Unless you are really dedicated to reviewing (I'm not), reviews will be skewed towards:
    "I expected this blender to cure my enlarged goiter, but it arrived on my doorstep looking like a gang of honey badgers attacked it. It works fine for blending my diet of unicorn shanks and whole pineapples, but since the goiter is still there, I'm giving it a 1-star review and posting this angry review!!!"
    Coming back to cars, you don't see many people saying:
    I drove my car today, nothing happened.
    If you're really worried, check out the high-mileage thread. There are people out there with heavily modified engines that have lasted for years and years.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  5. #34
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    I'm not really worried, I just want some clarification.
    A car is only as good as its driver

  6. #35
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,137
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88 View Post
    Such is true. Does the older wrx's and stis have the same aluminum EJ series' motor?

    Yes, but it is immaterial. What would you guess this block is made from:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6768857-lg-655x555.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	107305

    Sleeve thickness, open or closed deck, etc. are far more important.

    Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  7. #36
    Registered User zefram47's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    13
    If this hasn't been posted here yet, it should be a sticky as it is on IWSTi.

    The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

    EJ engines are not inherently weak at stock power levels as was already said. According to this article, and the tuners represented in it, good power can be made safely so long as you don't treat it like a Civic and bolt parts on without a *good* tune. And if you don't know what you're doing, stay away from open source ECU tuning devices.

  8. #37
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,927
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6768857-lg-655x555.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	107305
    Ah, the McLaren F1 engine...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  9. #38
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by zefram47 View Post
    If this hasn't been posted here yet, it should be a sticky as it is on IWSTi.

    The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge - Import Tuner Magazine

    EJ engines are not inherently weak at stock power levels as was already said. According to this article, and the tuners represented in it, good power can be made safely so long as you don't treat it like a Civic and bolt parts on without a *good* tune. And if you don't know what you're doing, stay away from open source ECU tuning devices.
    So an OTS cobb tune is fine?
    A car is only as good as its driver

  10. #39
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yes, but it is immaterial. What would you guess this block is made from:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6768857-lg-655x555.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	107305

    Sleeve thickness, open or closed deck, etc. are far more important.

    Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Idk. Let me take a wild guess aluminum?
    A car is only as good as its driver

  11. #40
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,938
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Ah, the McLaren F1 engine...
    The engine bay was lined in gold :drool:
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  12. #41
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88 View Post
    So an OTS cobb tune is fine?
    They're "safe" if that's what you're getting at. What OTS tunes are not is individual to the car. If you want solid reliable power on a '12 going with a cobb stageII (downpipe and tune) will yield nice results.

    Before being concerned about any of the internet fotter about what breaks.. you have to ask yourself what do you want from the car? What are you going to do with it for 80% or better of its use?

    280whp 300+torque is VERY easy to gain on a 3G car and also quite reliable. Especially if you go with a good pro-tune. How much more do you need for a street driven daily driver?

    and fyi.. the turbo's ARE the same between the 3G STI and WRX.. the only difference between the VF48 on the STI and the VF52 on the WRX is the the compressor housing. The STI VF48 doesn't have a flange where the VF52 does. Output and efficiency wise they are exactly the same. That is one of very few similarities though. This is why you might see problems on WRX models that you dont see on STI's and vice-verse.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  13. #42
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    12,938
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    and fyi.. the turbo's ARE the same between the 3G STI and WRX.. the only difference between the VF48 on the STI and the VF52 on the WRX is the the compressor housing. The STI VF48 doesn't have a flange where the VF52 does. Output and efficiency wise they are exactly the same. That is one of very few similarities though. This is why you might see problems on WRX models that you dont see on STI's and vice-verse.
    Do you have compressor maps to prove this Shawn?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #43
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,137
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88 View Post
    Idk. Let me take a wild guess aluminum?



    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  15. #44
    Registered User SubiEj255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    They're "safe" if that's what you're getting at. What OTS tunes are not is individual to the car. If you want solid reliable power on a '12 going with a cobb stageII (downpipe and tune) will yield nice results.

    Before being concerned about any of the internet fotter about what breaks.. you have to ask yourself what do you want from the car? What are you going to do with it for 80% or better of its use?

    280whp 300+torque is VERY easy to gain on a 3G car and also quite reliable. Especially if you go with a good pro-tune. How much more do you need for a street driven daily driver?

    and fyi.. the turbo's ARE the same between the 3G STI and WRX.. the only difference between the VF48 on the STI and the VF52 on the WRX is the the compressor housing. The STI VF48 doesn't have a flange where the VF52 does. Output and efficiency wise they are exactly the same. That is one of very few similarities though. This is why you might see problems on WRX models that you dont see on STI's and vice-verse.
    You hit it right on the nose. I just want a reliable car. I don't want to have to
    Baby a brand new car. I just want to see what the best route for me is.

    If I have to worry about a Ringland failure while my car is stock, then minds well mod.
    A car is only as good as its driver

  16. #45
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,733
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    They're "safe" if that's what you're getting at. What OTS tunes are not is individual to the car. If you want solid reliable power on a '12 going with a cobb stageII (downpipe and tune) will yield nice results.
    Every car will take a one-size-fits-all map differently, the same way with the stock map. I've got datalogs from cars that love the Cobb maps that won't knock for anything, and got logs where the car is pulling 2-3 FBKC on every WOT pull (FBKC events on PT pulls, too, but they're not as scary). As a general rule, Cobb maps are pretty conservative, and safe to run; however, OSFA does not always apply, and datalogs should be done to verify the map is taken well.

    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    and fyi.. the turbo's ARE the same between the 3G STI and WRX.. the only difference between the VF48 on the STI and the VF52 on the WRX is the the compressor housing. The STI VF48 doesn't have a flange where the VF52 does. Output and efficiency wise they are exactly the same. That is one of very few similarities though. This is why you might see problems on WRX models that you dont see on STI's and vice-verse.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    Do you have compressor maps to prove this Shawn?
    They may or may not be the exact same turbo, but the VF39/43/48/52 all put down similar mean numbers.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •