How to prevent ringland - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to prevent ringland within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by JStevens 255 is the N/A engine, 257 is turbo'd Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2 Ok ...

Quote Originally Posted by JStevens View Post
    255 is the N/A engine, 257 is turbo'd

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok so that means the sti and the wrx have the same motor then?
    A car is only as good as its driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88 View Post
    Anything?
    See post #2

Quote Originally Posted by JStevens View Post
    255 is the N/A engine, 257 is turbo'd

The N/A is the EJ253. The EJ255 is used on the Legacy GT and WRX. The EJ257 is used on the STI.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Correction accepted, brain farther on my part.

Yes, the 253 is the N/A engine

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    See post #2

The N/A is the EJ253. The EJ255 is used on the Legacy GT and WRX. The EJ257 is used on the STI.

^this

The problem is with the design of the piston. The ringlands are weak. The only way to strengthen them is to replace the piston.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ^this

The problem is with the design of the piston. The ringlands are weak. The only way to strengthen them is to replace the piston.
    So they're stronger in the EJ255 vs the EJ257?

I don't know if the pistons in the ej255 are really any stronger or not. The pistons are the weak point in every turbo charged ej series motor.

I Support ClubWRX
    The newer STis have adopted the much-touted hypereteutic pistons; Subaru made a big deal of this before voices in the wilderness cried out, suspecting that a bug was reinvented as a feature.

From my view the new pistons were the right move to make, but not because of their strength. They are intended to reduce emissions, and that's far more important (though I admit if one's car has a blown piston the finer points of clean air design are harder to appreciate...).

Still, more cars run than don't, so more cars pollute than have blown pistons and the overall concept is not unsound.

Now, as to whether something can be done to prevent a failure, I suppose the first thing I'd do is leave the car alone provided the factory map is adequate. The failures seen I don't think could have been prevented on the stock cars; on modded cars maybe they could, maybe not, but the owner is paying anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't know if the pistons in the ej255 are really any stronger or not. The pistons are the weak point in every turbo charged ej series motor.
    See I didn't know EJ's has weak motors. Hmmm thats kinda sucks balls

See I didn't know EJ's has weak motors. Hmmm thats kinda sucks balls

It ain't a 4G63, that's for sure. I wouldn't trust a stock ej series motor past 380whp, and anything over 27psi boost has the potential to crack cylinder walls.. I've put probably over $12,000 into my ej, and I'm still limiting boost to keep the power and strain on the engine down.

It ain't a 4G63, that's for sure. I wouldn't trust a stock ej series motor past 380whp, and anything over 27psi boost has the potential to crack cylinder walls.. I've put probably over $12,000 into my ej, and I'm still limiting boost to keep the power and strain on the engine down.
    Wow... A 4G63 is which motor?

Why does everyone praise the ground that subarus walk on, if they have soft motors? The stats you listed aren't bad, but to see stock motors fail is pathetic.

Everyone always say, "Subarus are so reliable, this & that", but is this true? If you have to change your oil every 3k miles, but you can't use x brand of oil. You have to check your oil every day almost. Even after this is complete, you can't still have a failed motor. Is this reliability?

zax

Why does everyone praise the ground that subarus walk on, if they have soft motors? The stats you listed aren't bad, but to see stock motors fail is pathetic.

Everyone always say, "Subarus are so reliable, this & that", but is this true? If you have to change your oil every 3k miles, but you can't use x brand of oil. You have to check your oil every day almost. Even after this is complete, you can't still have a failed motor. Is this reliability?
    Motor in Lancer Evo/Gallant vr4/eclipse gsr/starion esi.

There's a big difference between a reliable motor at stock power levels and a motor at 400+whp. EJ series motors are very reliable at stock power levels. But it is an aluminum block with cast pistons. The 4G63 has an Iron block and forged pistons (which does not pass recent emissions laws).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

ALL motors have their issues. Lets take the 4G63 as an example. The 7 bolt version had crank walk issues. If you think Subaru is the only manufacturer to have motor fail then you are being naive. As far as the oil is concerned I run mine between 5k-7.5k miles on full synthetic. If you enjoy dumping money down the drain then sure,change your oil at 3k. This is my opinion, but obviously following the manufacturer's recommendation for a car in warranty is required. But if you are voiding the warranty anyways then there is no reason to stick with it. Sometimes the facts are the needle deep in an opinion haystack but thats they way the world is. A UOA is the only way to tell if your oil and filters are doing what they are supposed too. So far my Subaru seems pretty reliable. 190K on the original motor and tranny running 20+ psi on several different flavors of turbos. I just recently had to change the factory halfshafts and ball joints. Reliability is also subjective. Is my car reliable or am I just lucky? The biggest variable for "reliability" is the owner/driver in my opinion. Doesn't help when people run around putting 87 or 89 octane in because they can take the time to read their owner's manual and understand the information or do clutch dumping donuts and then complain about "reliability".
    Last edited by Donkey; 08-05-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    ALL motors have their issues. Lets take the 4G63 as an example. The 7 bolt version had crank walk issues. If you think Subaru is the only manufacturer to have motor fail then you are being naive. As far as the oil is concerned I run mine between 5k-7.5k miles on full synthetic. If you enjoy dumping money down the drain then sure,change your oil at 3k. This is my opinion, but obviously following the manufacturer's recommendation for a car in warranty is required. But if you are voiding the warranty anyways then there is no reason to stick with it. Sometimes the facts are the needle deep in an opinion haystack but thats they way the world is. A UOA is the only way to tell if your oil and filters are doing what they are supposed too. So far my Subaru seems pretty reliable. 190K on the original motor and tranny running 20+ psi on several different flavors of turbos. I just recently had to change the factory halfshafts and ball joints. Reliability is also subjective. Is my car reliable or am I just lucky? The biggest variable for "reliability" is the owner/driver in my opinion. Doesn't help when people run around putting 87 or 89 octane in because they can take the time to read their owner's manual and understand the information or do clutch dumping donuts and then complain about "reliability".
    That's great that YOUR car is. I like to hear stories like this. I never knew the reliablity factor of the older subies b/c i don't have one. So maybe the older ones are more reliable than the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Motor in Lancer Evo/Gallant vr4/eclipse gsr/starion esi.

There's a big difference between a reliable motor at stock power levels and a motor at 400+whp. EJ series motors are very reliable at stock power levels. But it is an aluminum block with cast pistons. The 4G63 has an Iron block and forged pistons (which does not pass recent emissions laws).
    Yes there is a huge difference, but what's the reasoning for cars with stock motors failing? Drivers error? I mean with a soft metal like aluminum its guaranteed to fail sooner or later.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well yea but I'm saying without dropping in a built motor.
    You don't have to even split the case.

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

This is just internet hysteria leading to paranoia. People don't make threads about "my car didn't break" usually.

Click the arrow in the quote and read the whole thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg View Post
    186,300 miles and still running strong. ive been stage 4 for about 85000 miles
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.