Problems AFTER Smog Check - Blinking CEL, puffs of smoke, fuel-rich exhaust - HELP!

This is a discussion on Problems AFTER Smog Check - Blinking CEL, puffs of smoke, fuel-rich exhaust - HELP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, I took my '02 WRX (91K miles) to get smogged yesterday. Passed no problem. I drove it home ...

Problems AFTER Smog Check - Blinking CEL, puffs of smoke, fuel-rich exhaust - HELP!

Hi All,

I took my '02 WRX (91K miles) to get smogged yesterday. Passed no problem. I drove it home (about 2 miles) and parked it. An hour later, I came out and the car had trouble. Namely:
    - high, rough idle
    - blinking check engine light
    - strong fuel smell
    - visible puffs of smoke in the exhaust

I checked the engine codes and got a misfire code for P0302. The spark plugs were changed about a year and a half ago, so I assumed that's not the problem. Then, I changed out the fuel filter and the PCV, checked the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, disconnected the battery for 20 min., and looked for any loose connections. The problem persists.

Any suggestions? Is it possible something happened during the smog check? I know they don't mess with the engine at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by magikWRX; 07-28-2012 at 05:54 PM.