Do I have a OEM or Aftermarket up pipe.

This is a discussion on Do I have a OEM or Aftermarket up pipe. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car came with a Cobb Turboback, and we are aware of the 05 and lower up pipe issue when ...

Do I have a OEM or Aftermarket up pipe.

My car came with a Cobb Turboback, and we are aware of the 05 and lower up pipe issue when power is added. Cat converter breaks and may get sucked into the turbo. I cant really see any writing that says "perrin","cobb" or etc on it, but I cant get a good view looking from the Hood. Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can you tell if it has a cat in it? That's probably the easiest tip off. But if it looks like a small straight pipe with two flanges- aftermarket and you're probably ok. Jack up the front of the car and jump under it and look from below.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, you can look on the side of the turbo or follow the header up under the car.

The easiest way (IMO) to tell if the UP has been replaced is to follow the EGT sensor (plugged in right by the EBCS solenoid) and follow the wire down. Generally, those of us how have replaced the UP have removed the EGT sensor, so the plug would be replaced with a resistor. If you have a stock gutted uppipe, the only way to tell it's been gutted is to remove the UP entirely and check.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Your best bet for viewing the uppipe is from underneath the car. If there are a bunch of heat shields, you can expect the uppipe to be stock of some sort. If it flares out in the middle, it's an OE catted model.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Guess I'll jack it up and take pictures this weekend. Dont want to add the AEM Cold Air Intake before I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by otakutrevan View Post
    Guess I'll jack it up and take pictures this weekend. Dont want to add the AEM Cold Air Intake before I know for sure.
    You may not want to add that just yet anyway...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Heat shields, either you have them or you don't.

Why not? Already Stage 2 tune, turbo back,catback exhaust. After the CAI I'm just getting new wheels, calipers, and thats it for mods. Yes noob but learning.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by otakutrevan View Post
    Why not? Already Stage 2 tune, turbo back,catback exhaust. After the CAI I'm just getting new wheels, calipers, and thats it for mods. Yes noob but learning.

CAI isn't going to provide much power increase, and you need to tune for it. A pro tune would be better anyways. And if you're going that route, your money would be better spent on a 3-port EBCS.

I have a Cobb aP For tuning purposes. 3 port ebcs?