new 02 wrx owner having troubles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new 02 wrx owner having troubles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought an 02 WRX 4EAT about a month ago and I'm having some problems. The biggest one I need ...

new 02 wrx owner having troubles

Just bought an 02 WRX 4EAT about a month ago and I'm having some problems. The biggest one I need help with is when I'm driving at low speeds and rpms I won't move my foot from the gas and all of a sudden I will lose power. Then out of nowhere it will find power again. Hasn't happened yet when getting on the gas just at lower rpms. Any suggestions on what it could be? Also it has been having a rough and fluctuating idle as well. I don't know much about WRXs yet always wanted one now I finally got one, and I want it running right before I would do any mods. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's the info on the car if needed
    2002 4eat Automatic Tranny 82k miles
    Full 3" DC Sport exhaust
    Aftermarket BOV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car tuned?

Can you datalog?

Has the BOV been properly adjusted?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Is the exhaust a turbo-back exhaust? If so, who did the tune?

Also, IIRC, many BOVs have significant issues on the 4EAT:
    4EAT Basic Information FAQ

Using a Blow-Off Valve on a 4EAT

Yes, it can be done, but the difference between using a BOV on a 4EAT is that you will not hear the “pssshhh” sound when the transmission shifts. This is because the 4EAT holds it’s boost during shifts. Verdugo, our resident moderator, has tried out many aftermarket BOVs and determined that only one worked correctly: The HKS.

APS- Smoothest of the bunch, but could not be heard at all.
    Blitz- Would not function properly
    Greddy- Would not function properly
    TurboXS- Would not function properly
    HKS- Best BOV, works fine at all boost levels
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The exhaust is a catback I believe, no the car is not tuned nor do I think it ever has been. And it loses the power not in boost as well. I was thinking maybe bad spark plugs, or maybe needing a complete tune up? it feels like the power just cuts out completely, then catches again out of nowhere. Thanks for the help, loving my first WRX so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nward61988
    The exhaust is a catback I believe, no the car is not tuned nor do I think it ever has been. And it loses the power not in boost as well. I was thinking maybe bad spark plugs, or maybe needing a complete tune up? it feels like the power just cuts out completely, then catches again out of nowhere. Thanks for the help, loving my first WRX so far.
    Again...

Can you datalog (which will tell us what's going on with the car)?

Has the BOV been properly adjusted?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No I cannot datalog never done it before, and I'm not sure about the BOV being adjusted, the guy I bought the car from basically never drove it or was into it so he didn't inform me on to much.

You could be experiencing a misfire I had the same problem with my 02 wrx. It had a rough idle like you're explaining. Same thing with losing power at lower rpms. I scanned my car with obd2 scanner and it had a misfire at 700rpm. It could be a timing, fuel, ignition problem etc..

Do you have a turbo back exhaust? Is the car tuned?

In my case my timing was off. Have you had any CEL come on?

no the car is not tuned, and I was told full 3" exhaust I'm assuming its a turboback? No CEL lights have came on to this point. How much are those scanners and where to get one? Also where should I start looking? I just did a fresh oil change using 5w-30 full synthetic valvoline synpower and also added Lucas injector cleaner and it actually seems like its worse now. When you say timing do you mean timing belt?

Yeah the timing belt, you might need to adjust the pulleys on the belt. Which takes about 1-3 hours depending on what tools you have. It took me about an hour and half. If you pop your hood and look at the teeth where the belt meets the pulley there should be a marking point somewhere indicating where it should be adjusted. Mine was on the front of the pulley. Just look for a marking that meets up with the other marking. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. In my case it looked like it was marked with a fluorescent green / orange color. Anyways the markings should meet up. You can buy the obd2 sensors at harbor freight and also pepboys sell them too I think.. If you were to do this yourself it would be the perfect opportunity to replace your timing belt, since you pretty much gotta take the whole belt off to readjust the pulleys.

Turboback exhaust is downpipe + catback

Ok as for the timing I was planning on doing my 90k maintenance and do the timing belt and water pump at the same time. What is the best timing belt to use? I heard gates makes a good performance one. For the 90k what all needs to be done, I've looked at a couple places and its always different. Then in terms of upgrades i got a couple ?s. Do I need an accessport if I was going to get a pro tune? So far I'm thinking high stall torque converter, accessport, up pipe, downpipe, full exhaust, new plugs as well. Got any more suggestions for me on which way to go? Also what brands do REX owners recommend with reasonable prices, and the best site to get parts from. I will be starting to collect my parts now so any info would help, thanks.

I have heard mixed reactions about getting headers, as well as getting a CAI or short ram. People seem to think its a waste of money?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nward61988 View Post
    I have heard mixed reactions about getting headers, as well as getting a CAI or short ram. People seem to think its a waste of money?
    At your current level of mods, header and CAI would not be effective mods. In fact, if you were to get a larger diameter header, you would be sacrificing turbo spool due to decreased exhaust gas velocity. Right now your largest breathing restriction is after your turbo: the downpipe.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.