bad turbo seal or just over full of oil?

This is a discussion on bad turbo seal or just over full of oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my 2012 sti with a blouch dom 3.0xtr, fmic,grimmspeed aos, completly built seems to have excesive oil comming from the ...

bad turbo seal or just over full of oil?

my 2012 sti with a blouch dom 3.0xtr, fmic,grimmspeed aos, completly built seems to have excesive oil comming from the bov its tuned for speed density and the bov is fully atmospheric. i recently had recently changed my oil royal purple 10-30 break in oil i ended up putting 5 quarts in it untill it showed full on the dipstick. Today ,400 miles later i opened the hood and saw all this excesive oil from the bov, i checked the oil and it read between low and full so i added about a quart and it read full later on in the day i checked it again and its about 1/8 of an inch above the full notch on the dip. and has me a little concerned weather its a turbo seal or just over full. im hoping its just over filled the car smokes a little on start up but then clears right up. also the motor and turbo only have a little over 2000 miles. when i first picked the car up from iag in maryalnd they told me its typical for them to smoke for a while being the rings arnt seated but it seems since i did this last oil change its gotten worse any ideas on if the car will smoke and blow oil out of the bov and have excessive oil in the fmic piping if its just over full and does anyone else have issues getting a good oil level reading off the dipstick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did they recommend RP break-in oil?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

yes for 3000 miles .....its all new bearings rods manley and manley pistons everything is mew idk wtf it is lol

Hey! Someone with a subbie that lives close to me! I'm in Nanticoke. I dont own a subaru yet. But hopefully will have one before winter. Depending how long it takes for ordering to open up for a 2013. Sorry your having trouble with your car

Yep from berwick when u get a subie get ahold of me if I even have the Damn thing ,its been nothing but a big black colud over my head i really hope I don't gotta pull my turbo

Definitely will! Hope you get everything working right!

First off, why did you add a quart of oil when the oil level was between the minimum and maximum lines? The oil capacity is only 4.5 quarts and it only takes about a 1/2 quart to get the level from the minimum up to the maximum. It sounds like you need a tutorial in standard oil checking/filling procedures.

To check your oil level and add oil do the following:
    1. Park the car on a level surface.
    2. If the car is cold, then go ahead with step 3. If it's not cold, then wait at least 20 minutes after you last drove the car before proceeding to step 3.
    3. Pull the dipstick. Wipe clean. Reinsert all the way into the tube, pushing it all the way down to the position where it sits when driving. Do not only insert it to where the plastic cap starts to hit the top. It must always be inserted fully.
    4. Pull the dipstick and hold it with the tip pointing towards the ground at least slightly and read the highest point where oil coats the entire dipstick front and back. Do not ever lift the tip above the rest of the dipstick. Horizontal is the highest to ever have it to ensure oil doesn't run "up" the dipstick to indicate a higher level than is actually in the pan.
    5. Wipe clean and repeat step 4 to verify the level. Always.
    6. You should always maintain the oil level near the maximum but very slightly below this unless the car is cold, in which case you can fill it right up to the maximum line since 95% of the oil should be in the pan. (note: personally I think it's fine if you have a tiny bit of extra oil in the car so I just always try and keep the level right at the max line) If the level is lower than this, add a small amount of oil via the oil filler cap. How much you add should be based upon your experience with the car. Always try and add less than more because it's very easy to add more and a real PITA to remove extra oil. If you need this tutorial like the OP, then your best bet is to add about 1/4 of a quart at a time and no more. Typically quart containers have 3-8 lines on them where you can see the oil level in the container, so you can always tell when you've added 1/4 quart even with 3 lines.
    7. Wait about 5 minutes for the oil to flow down to the pan. How long it will take depends on the ambient temp and the engine temp. If the car is cold and the air is cold (below freezing), then it can take 10 or even 20 minutes for the oil to get to the pan, so I'd recommend the car is warm and has sat for 20 minutes after you get home when you check the level and add oil. Typically in temps of about 45-50 and above, 90% of the oil will get to the pan in about a minute or less.
    8. Repeat steps 4-7 adding oil until you get to the maximum line. Based on how much the level increased the first time you added oil, you should be able to tell roughly how much oil the car needs overall. Another rough guideline you can use on a Subaru and on most other cars too is that if your oil is low enough that it doesn't register on the dipstick, adding an entire quart will be safe and won't bring you up over the max level.

Now as to your particular issue, it's typical for oil to be in the turbo lines and IC, which means it can definitely come out of the BOV. It's also typical for flat engines to burn oil, and for turbo engines too. It's also typical for modified cars to burn more oil than stock. You've got all of these things going for (or against) you, so you're very likely to be burning more oil than other cars you've had in the past. This also results in some smoke at startup not only during break-in but any time the car is cold.

Did you buy this car new and get all of these modifications done, or did you find a used 2012 somewhere with them already on it? What exactly have you had done to the car? It's a bit (actually a lot) concerning that you don't know something basic like this but have a very highly modified brand new car that has probably at least $40k if not $45k or more invested...

I'd highly recommend you do a lot of reading about the car and understand exactly what it means to have done all of these modifications to a car, and especially to a Subaru. For instance, they really don't like to have full VTA BOVs on them, though of course having it tuned specifically to support it makes a huge difference. I'd also take advantage of the tuning shop where you had the car in terms of asking them to explain all about the mods. For what was spent on it, I'm sure they'd be willing to spend a couple of hours with you talking about it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I do know that there is supposed to be some oil in the ic piping it just seems really excessive , would the extra half a quart of oil when I did my oil change cause this. Basically what I'm getting at is if its over full will it be blowby and get put back through the intake system. Causing a lot of oil in my piping

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is very easy to find out - just fill your car to them normal level and see if it goes away. Hope you don't have to mess with the turbo or anything else.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Did you ever figure out your problem? My Dom III xtr is barely a year old and has been kicking out oil for quite awhile. Thought it was the motor but after I changed the valve seals and a rehone the car was still burning up oil quick. Got bad enough to clear a quart in like a week. Swapped out the turbo with another and problem fixed, I couldn't believe it. I always prime my motor/turbo and haven't had any other issues so I'm not sure what happened. I saw another guy has one for sale on NASIOC that had his rebuilt (out of his own pocket) due to failure of the CHRA. I'm starting to doubt the quality of these as I've read of others having issues with the turbo pushing out oil as well. Not really sure though since it's online hearsay..but that's why I'm asking....

Re: bad turbo seal or just over full of oil?

A very little oil was coming from the compressor side not much tho , I just had mine over full

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Re: bad turbo seal or just over full of oil?

My car does use oil but very minamal

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2