03 wrx. . misfires and has big power loss
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 03 wrx. . misfires and has big power loss within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an 03 wrx and it has a misfire and power loss. my car is pretty modified and it ...

03 wrx. . misfires and has big power loss

i have an 03 wrx and it has a misfire and power loss. my car is pretty modified and it should be faster then it is. everytime i accelerate it boggs way down and then when the rpms go up i get more power but hardly any pull. im thinkin my rings are bad because im going through a lot of oil and theres some smoke coming out the exhaust. and one day it just started missing hard so i parked it for 2 weeks. then i decided to change my map to a economy mode and when i did the miss is barely noticable but its still there. anybody have any ideas what it could be. ignition? rings? possibly a tune problem? also when i bought the car a year ago the guy before me had it custom tuned in arizona. could that be part of the problem? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get or perform a compression/leakdown test and report back.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

A good start would be to list what mods the car has and a history of how the car has run since you bought it in terms of when the problems started, have they gotten worse, does anything other than changing maps make the car run differently, etc.

You've provided basically zero useful information to be able to help you in any way.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

3 inch exhaust, cai, 4 core intercooler, sti pink injectors, stage 2 clutch, light flywheel, hks bov, grounding kit, i bought it and it wasnt runnin the greatest then like a month ago it went down hill fast. it would die at stop lights, idle rough, smoke out the exhaust, run really rich. and i just changed went through the maps and they all run the same.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kdmullenbach View Post
    3 inch exhaust, cai, 4 core intercooler, sti pink injectors, stage 2 clutch, light flywheel, hks bov, grounding kit, i bought it and it wasnt runnin the greatest then like a month ago it went down hill fast. it would die at stop lights, idle rough, smoke out the exhaust, run really rich. and i just changed went through the maps and they all run the same.
    Who tuned the car?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

^^^ What he said x1 million

Also you've got a few things on there that are not recommended like the BOV and LWFW that are both well known to cause issues on your year/model. However, if you had a good tuner that accounted for them you might be able to get by with little or no issues but really that's unlikely. Grounding kits are basically a useless gimmick but at least they won't hurt your car. Do you have an upgraded fuel pump to support the upgraded injectors?

Is the IC a front mount or top mount? What brand/model is the CAI? What about the exhaust, especially the DP?
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any CEL codes?

Can you look at the A/F learning in the ECU?

Pull the MAF and clean it carefully according to the instructions - the sensor wire is up in the tube, not the bulb you see. Install the correct direction.

Check the intake track before the turbo for ANY leaks.

If that doesn't help, Pull the plugs and have a look, compression test, maybe seafoam, etc.

It might also have something to do with your IAC.
    Last edited by mycologist; 07-26-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i had the subie dealer look at it and they told me it was my rings. so now im pullin the motor and rebuilding it. but i found a spare motor im droppin in for the time being this weekend

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kdmullenbach View Post
    i had the subie dealer look at it and they told me it was my rings. so now im pullin the motor and rebuilding it. but i found a spare motor im droppin in for the time being this weekend
    OK, but you need to get the car tuned so you don't just blow your rings again.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Tune? What's that? Some kind of sound in music?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Tune? What's that? Some kind of sound in music?
    tune   [toon, tyoon] Show IPA noun, verb, tuned, tun·ing.
    noun
    a succession of musical sounds forming an air or melody, with or without the harmony accompanying it.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

How did the dealer tell it was the rings? Are you rebuilding it yourself or paying someone to do it? I assume you're putting the spare motor in with all of the peripherals (turbo, exhaust, etc) that are on the car right now? What are you going to do about tuning it?

And most importantly: Why put the old motor back in instead of just building the spare and putting that in? Seems like a lot of wasted effort for nothing.....
    Scott

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Probably failed the compression test.

Ring damage - usually a result of lean conditions and knock. Do not put another motor in there without fixing it.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.