AC charge...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AC charge... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just replaced the tensioner for the AC system, now that I know it SHOULD be working I'm only getting ...

AC charge...

I just replaced the tensioner for the AC system, now that I know it SHOULD be working I'm only getting warm air out the vents... how much refrigerant should I get for this car and what kind? Is there any other specifics I should know before doing g the recharge?

Car is a 2002 wrx...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks, Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There should be a sticker with system capacity visible. However, I recommend that you address the fault first. Put some gauges on it and get annual and see what pressures you have vs. what you should have. Then find out why and fix it if need be.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My suggestion is that if you don't know these answers already, it would probably be a good idea to take the car to a professional. You probably have a leak somewhere and they have the equipment to properly diagnose and repair the system
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Yeah I know, just didn't really want to spend the cost for that if I didn't have to... but wasting the money on a charge that won't stay is just as bad....

Last edited by Archametes; 07-24-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    My suggestion is that if you don't know these answers already, it would probably be a good idea to take the car to a professional. You probably have a leak somewhere and they have the equipment to properly diagnose and repair the system
    Isn't doing stuff ourselves the way we learn? Last I checked technicians and "professionals" weren't popped out of the womb with the knowledge already there. Same reasons the OP wants to do it himself are the same as mine for my mods.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Very valid point, thanks

Thanks, Mike

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Isn't doing stuff ourselves the way we learn? Last I checked technicians and "professionals" weren't popped out of the womb with the knowledge already there. Same reasons the OP wants to do it himself are the same as mine for my mods.
    Yes, but are you going to go out and buy some expensive equipment to test your A/C leak once?

OP, if you have leak, you can pop all your lines out and check your O rings. That's a start.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

hey there buddy this is my opinion on your situation about 2 weeks ago i had warm air coming out so figured id check for leaks
    first and i as you didnt want to pay somebody to do it. i went and got some a/c refrigent that has a green dye in it to detect leaks that will become visible
    obvisously from where ever the leak is.i got that and the hose(with gauge attached so you dont overfill)to hook to my low press side. and in about 2 days i saw the green dye
    it was leaking from the hose that comes from my condesner to my a/c unit.all in all i spent about 25 bucks to find the leak

i replaced the hose with a genuine brand new subaru hose and my ac has been working fantastic its very nice and cold
    this is my 2 cents

See I don't mind the cost to get the equipment if its some thing I can use on both my car and the wife's. I don't need it for hers but who knows in the future... I think I'll start by trying to do it myself and if I can't figure it out in a weekend or so then take it to the shop... I've spent more on ammo for a day than that and that's a one time use item...

Thanks, Mike

I Support ClubWRX
    To fix a leak - if there is a leak - correctly you will need to pull a vacuum before recharging the system. Also one way to make sure that you have the correct amount of refrigerant is to keep gauges on the system so you can keep an eye on pressured and put the container with refrigerant on a scale, do you can see how much is being added as the container gets lighter (the spec sticker uses the nauseating units "ounces" but that's life). So all this stuff costs money. I'd beg/borrow before buying.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah I can borrow some stuff and if need be rent as well...

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Isn't doing stuff ourselves the way we learn? Last I checked technicians and "professionals" weren't popped out of the womb with the knowledge already there. Same reasons the OP wants to do it himself are the same as mine for thmy mods.
    I have a $5000 a/c machine that allows me to fix an a/c system correctly. Air conditioning is not something you just shoot with some r134 and call it a day. Its blowing hot air because it needs to be repaired and in order to repair it properly, you need the right tools. That's why I suggested to take it to a professional. There are certain things that are DIY, a/c just really isn't one of them.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I understand that, and appreciate the advice, but paying a shop say $200 for them to diagnose a leak or spending $50 to find the same result myself doesn't really make sense... if there is an eminent problem I can have a shop address it then. But to start I can try the easier and more cost effective route... right?

Thanks, Mike

As was pointed out before: it needs to be cavuum pulled before charging. Given the age it could probably do with a flush and clean, too. And it may need to have the restrictor replaced. I suggest you can to SOME of the grunt work: fill the system with the leak indicating stuff, see where it leaks. Replace leaking parts. By then you absolutely have air and with that humidity in the system. Air and humidity are KILLERS for A/C systems. Do not run that unless you're planning on replacing the compressor afterwards anyways. At this point it's time for a shop. They can replace the restrictor (often just a insert or "dent" in the line, right before the evaporator) That's cheap and it's where any built up dirt collects and eventually plugs the line. THey usually want to replace the dryer/tank unit, given 10years its probably good to do. Not sure what a flush would cost, but for the future of the compressor it would be advisable. They'll pull it into hard vacuum and hold it to see if there is still a leak. Only then is it time to re-fill with refrigerant and oil. There is oil for the compressor in there, just thought I might mention that also. Now you have a A/C system that works and hopefully stays that way.
    Last edited by Ingo; 07-24-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: additional thoughts...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

OK that explains and makes more sense of why not to do it myself. Thank you.

Thanks, Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast