In tank Fuel filters need changing to...despite the general consensus

This is a discussion on In tank Fuel filters need changing to...despite the general consensus within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So as many of you know, somewhere in 2005 Subaru in its infinite wisdom decided to move the fuel filter ...

I Support ClubWRX

In tank Fuel filters need changing to...despite the general consensus

So as many of you know, somewhere in 2005 Subaru in its infinite wisdom decided to move the fuel filter into the tank post fuel pump. It is a metallic and plastic globe looking thing. I have read on the intarwebz everything from "It doesn't need to be changed", to "There isn't one." The Subaru workshop/maintenance manual I have gives a detail breakdown and service interval of 60k miles. Since its replacement required fuel pump removal, I had been procrastinating, but finally had it changed at 85k miles.

Wow what a difference. I had suspicions it was causing uneven boosting and fuel cut with my protune map at WOT and now all that is confirmed. Its just a happy car now. Boost is smooth and linear, I get more go with less pedal and I'm pretty certain I'll see a rather substantial uptick in MPG as I was averaging an all time low of 20-21mpg the last 5 tanks. My only regret Is I didn't change it 35k miles ago when I noticed all this stuff starting to happen.

So there you go, they are a PITA since you have to remove the rear seats, but I'd change it minimum at the 60k mile service interval, probably sooner.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP