installed 18g and now have running problems?

This is a discussion on installed 18g and now have running problems? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok guys..i got a hybrid 2.5 02 wrx. just purchased a fp 18g and installed while doing an oil change. ...

installed 18g and now have running problems?

ok guys..i got a hybrid 2.5 02 wrx. just purchased a fp 18g and installed while doing an oil change. test drove it and it died on me. no power and sputters bad. so to get it home i unhooked maf sensor and got it home. i know i need a tune ect but what is causing this thing to start and die , start and die. more gas i give faster it dies ect.

mod: turbo back exhaust catless, perrin inlet, fmic, 18g, 72mm cai

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any CEL?
    And yes, you absolutely need to tune. I do not know if it's bad enough to actually make it not run...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I do hope you've replaced the fuel pump and injectors...

It's probably a case of not having the right tune on there, or you have a bad vacuum leak somewhere. Either way, don't drive it around like that. A respectable tuner can get you a map to help you limp to the shop.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's getting tiresome, but I will play ball for the sake of this thread and the OP's car. First off RESEARCH. It sounds to me as though there are a number of things the OP has done significantly wrong.
    1.) Please answer Cody's question above: Have you performed your fuel system upgrades? You will at minimum require a 240lph fuel pump and 650cc/min injectors to support the 18G.
    2.) Without a tune, you will run tremendously lean at boost and likely experience detonation events. Hopefully what happened is that your car realized it was running lean, and pulled boost to compensate. This is (of course) assuming you have retained your EBCS system. If you've attempted to install a MBC, all bets are off. You may have fried your piston rings.

I would strongly advise getting a compression test done on the motor, then flatbed the car to the nearest tuner.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

This is a duplicate thread. Delete it and keep your questions in just one thread instead of starting / posting multiple identical threads...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading