seatbelt pretensioner bad or not?

This is a discussion on seatbelt pretensioner bad or not? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How can you tell if the Pretensioner is bad or not? My drivers seat belt is bad it does not ...

seatbelt pretensioner bad or not?

How can you tell if the Pretensioner is bad or not? My drivers seat belt is bad it does not lock and the springs are toast so that one i am sure. Passenger one will lock in place when you tug on it fast, is that one still ok? BTW this car was a wreck ive been rebuilding for a hobby project.

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You know reading this I probably answered my own question but I really not 100% sure lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree you probably answered already. A very conservative, highly safety-oriented view is to change all safety equipment after a wreck. People replace air bags but nobody that is not required to do so legally replaces the seat belt assembly. I suspect they should.

If the car was in a wreck, there was almost certainly a driver in it, so the driver's seat belt assembly has been through a wreck. If it's malfunctioning, change it, because you'll be relying on it for your life.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 : There is a certain amount of strech built into the seat belt material. If it's been crashed with load (like a driver and/or passenger) the belt should be replaced by default. Even if it seems to be working perfectly well. In the next crash it would probably hurt a person due to having no give whatsoever. BTW the pre-tensioner is onther part: it's a the bottom of the inside whip, the one the seat belt buckles into. The part acts as a "reverse" spring and is to take up the slack that may be there due to people not sitting fully in the seat back and or moving about in their seat. Therese thingys have often pressure cartridges like the air bag, once used they have to be replaced... nto sure if that's in the Subies and what years...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I think VAG had interesting solutions, with procon ten on the 80 that used suspension cables to pull the belts tight when the motor moved during a crash, and then using a... Wankel (sigh...) to create pretension in later models.

In any case I'd change even simple belts, at least the driver's side. Maybe find belts from a car with a blown motor, not a wreck if you want to go used parts instead of $$$ new.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    ...a... Wankel (sigh...)
    You mean a rotary, right?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    I need an aspirin...

I want to be save first and foremost, however they cost $69 each to rebuild and i doubt that they would tell me if it was bad or not and just take my money.

thanks all

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ-REX View Post
    I want to be save first and foremost, however they cost $69 each to rebuild and i doubt that they would tell me if it was bad or not and just take my money.

thanks all
    Forgive me, but why on earth would you want to rebuild safety equipment? $69 is nothing compared to getting thrown from a vehicle, spending months in the hospital, plus many more in therapy, assuming you survive in the first place. Saving cost? I think you just did.

EDIT: Wait, you meant to say "safe", not "save", right? In that case, sorry for the rant.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I did mean save $ but still safe. body shops order rebuilds all the time by sending in the bad ones for cores charge. the body of the unit is all that is left when they rebuild them, it gets new belt, pins and whatever else.
    I however am NOT going through a body shop, and I have a place to send them. I figured out what I need now Thanks All for the help

how ever if anyone has a video or directions on how to change out the passenger airbag that would be awesome!