timing belt cover marks

This is a discussion on timing belt cover marks within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need help! there are marks on the timing belt cover 30, 20, 10, 0,10, that can line up with ...

timing belt cover marks

I need help! there are marks on the timing belt cover 30, 20, 10, 0,10, that can line up with the center cam sprocket, what is their purpose and what would happen if i were to line up the outer cams perfectly with the center sprocket set to 20 or 10 instead of straight up on 30?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The timing marks are there to monitor the timing according to a timing light, not to line the belt up by. The marks on the crank sprocket, and the cam sprockets are all supposed to be lined up before you even take the belt off, then the belt aligns with the crank mark (straight up if it's done correctly), you align the cam sprockets manually (double lines facing each other, single lines directly in line with the back timing cover), and ensure the belt is put on according to those marks again.

DO NOT turn the crank after having it positioned when removing the belt! Being an interference motor, you WILL screw something up.

edit: I should add that I know of no way to check the timing with a timing gun on a WRX, so I don't really know why those marks are there, but the timing covers are probably standard across MANY years of EJ engines, so it may just be a result of that.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 07-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

DO NOT turn the crank after having it positioned when removing the belt! Being an interference motor, you WILL screw something up.

edit: I should add that I know of no way to check the timing with a timing gun on a WRX, so I don't really know why those marks are there, but the timing covers are probably standard across MANY years of EJ engines, so it may just be a result of that.
    ok so while i was putting the belt on i spun the cam sprockets to line them up one by one and then put on the belt and the center sprocket didnt stay perfectly up it was off by maybe 20 degrees but it wasnt put back together at all past that so it hasnt moved since i put the belt back on.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, the test of whether or not you've done it right is to have ALL of the timing marks lined up between the belt, the cam sprockets, and the marks on the cover.

To tell if the crank sprocket is aligned properly, it needs to be pointing straight up at a very small mark on the engine casting. You can see it in step 9 in this write up:

Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Ok so I managed to get it done in about half an hour with big allen wrench and the car runs good so I'm pretty sure I did it right

I Support ClubWRX
    Good deal man, everything lined up properly when you were done, then?
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Yes it was a pain in the ass but I managed to get it done. Lined up the passenger side sprockets and the center then I found it easier to line up the top driver side and then do the bottom and the tensioner went in nice and easy everything stayed tight and it runs good all lines perfectly lined up.

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds correct if I've understood what you're saying. Since it runs and the lines lined up, you should be good to go.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.