Rhino Ramps with a 2012 WRX?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rhino Ramps with a 2012 WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a pair of Rhino Ramps MAX - the strongest ones you can get. The front bumper doesn't hit ...

Rhino Ramps with a 2012 WRX?

I bought a pair of Rhino Ramps MAX - the strongest ones you can get. The front bumper doesn't hit the ramps before it reaches the tire. But I'm afraid as I'm moving up the front bumper will hit the "lip" at the end of the ramp where it's leveled (it keeps you from going over the ramp). It seems I may just clear it as the car is moving up and getting raised. But I can't be certain.

Does anybody have a pair of Rhino ramps and a 2012 WRX (or similar model vehicle) that can tell me if these will work fine? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Once the car is on the ramp, the front bumper,even with a lip, does not hit the edge that prevents the car from overshooting the ramps.

The front bumper will clear the ramps just fine if you do not have a front lip. If you have a front lip,you need to get a little creative & make one of those mini ramps with studs.

I once started a thread on the issue http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspen...-your-car.html
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Nope, I don't have a front lip installed and the ride height is stock (I forgot to mention).

So, I definitely won't scrape against that edge (as I'm moving up the ramp), right?

Sorry I'm just paranoid and want to make sure as scratches on a white bumper even towards the bottom will be really noticeable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just looked at the ones you bought,the max. Incline is 17 degrees like mine. So it should clear without any problem.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks, Rage.

Then it looks like I now have everything I need to do my own oil change for the first time on this car!

Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    Thanks, Rage.

Then it looks like I now have everything I need to do my own oil change for the first time on this car!
    Just did my first change yesterday, it's a piece of cake. Biggest pain for me was a jammed bolt holding the plastic tray in place. You can access the drain plug with no issue while the tray is on, but changing the filter requires removing the tray.

I Support ClubWRX
    We just put my buddy's 11 (stock height/no lip) on my rhinos last week to install a DP, and we had no issues. Yes, it is VERY close, but you're good.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Just did my first change yesterday, it's a piece of cake. Biggest pain for me was a jammed bolt holding the plastic tray in place. You can access the drain plug with no issue while the tray is on, but changing the filter requires removing the tray.
    I hope I don't run in to the jammed bolt issue. But yea it seems pretty easy to do. With this car I want to do as much as I can myself and learn a lot with maintenance and modding.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    We just put my buddy's 11 (stock height/no lip) on my rhinos last week to install a DP, and we had no issues. Yes, it is VERY close, but you're good.
    Nice. That's good to hear. It does look very close especially with how wide these MAX ramps are (which makes it so that the front bumper comes closer to the edge that keeps you from overshooting).

And hopefully I'm safe with these since they're made for cars about 4-5 times heavier.

my biggest problem was getting the filter off. But then again, a screwdriver does many things lol
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    my biggest problem was getting the filter off. But then again, a screwdriver does many things lol
    Do you mean it was difficult to reach or whoever put the last one on screwed it on too tight? Because I didn't buy a filter removing tool thinking it would be easy to just take off by hand with some kitchen latex gloves for grip.

if it's your first oil change, then no (unless you have a decent amount of muscles). i changed mine at 1,000miles. had to use a breaker bar for the oil drain plug and a oil filter removing wrench cuz the filter was on so damn tight. now my future oil changes should be simple since they are torqued correctly now.

Do you mean it was difficult to reach or whoever put the last one on screwed it on too tight? Because I didn't buy a filter removing tool thinking it would be easy to just take off by hand with some kitchen latex gloves for grip.
    2012 Satin White Pearl WRX Base Hatchback
    Torqued Performance Stage 2

My filter spun off by hand, but it was pretty tight on there. It's very easy to reach when the tray is removed, but to be honest the pan gets in the way, so my filter wrench was pretty useless. Also, my drain bolt was ungodly tight - I used a rubber mallet to lightly tap my wrench and loosen it up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah,if it is the first oil change, the filter might be a bit hard to take off. Everything on the car is torqued by gorillas at the factory. You will be able to twist it off with considerable force.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Why would they do that I wonder. The manual says if you put the filter on too tight then you can cause a leak.

How tight should I tighten the drain bolt when replacing it?

When the crush washer hits the pan, you can feel the crush washer getting crushed, then you'll feel it won't turn anymore. That's when I stop. For filter, once it contacts the top, 3/4 to 1 full rotation is good
    2012 Satin White Pearl WRX Base Hatchback
    Torqued Performance Stage 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.