05 is loosing power
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 is loosing power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I feel like my 05 wrx is loosing power. Getting around I traffic is causing me to rev it over ...

05 is loosing power

I feel like my 05 wrx is loosing power. Getting around I traffic is causing me to rev it over 2000 rpm to what I feel is safely get through intersection.

85k miles
    No mods
    All maintenance done regularly
    Just had Subaru do plugs, PVC valve, trans oil, diff oil. Brake fluid (month ago)
    I checked the MAf and it's clean, air filter is clean, fuel filter is in tank

I've read timing belt should be done soon, but I can't see that affecting power. Idle is fine. I would think if I am loosing compression subaru may have seen that. Is it the heat? Anyone know the power loss from AC. I'm ready to start tearing into things looking for clogs...

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The timing belt won't affect power but yes you should do it soon unless you have a few grand burning a hole in your pocket to rebuild your engine. AC typically take about 10% of your engine's power, though of course it depends how much HP/TQ your engine has. In a car with as much power as yours, you'll only notice a slight difference between when the AC is on or off.

I don't understand what you mean by this statement:
    "Getting around I traffic is causing me to rev it over 2000 rpm to what I feel is safely get through intersection."

Also can you give a little more info like when did this start happening, did it change at all since it started happening, does it happen under all conditions (car cold, hot, different gears, etc)?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Rabbit View Post
    Getting around I traffic is causing me to rev it over 2000 rpm to what I feel is safely get through intersection.
    You are driving a car with a 2.0/2.5 liter, turbocharged, LOW-COMPRESSION 4 cylinder engine. You are bogging the engine down.

This started happening in the fall, where I thought the car was loosing power. Myself and other car people can not place what it is though. It happens generally only starting in 1st gear, regardless if the car is hot or cold.

I also tried to see if the clutch was slipping, but it seems to be working well.

It may be just a figment of my imagination that I'm loosing power, but I feel the car had a bit more to it without having to rev past 2000-2500 rpm from a dead stop. If I start in 1st gear and let it go around 1200 rpm it is just a dog.

I'm just grasping at things to check.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe if you tightened the power the car would feel better
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Maybe if you tightened the power the car would feel better
    Winning!!

You should be using a torque wrench to ensure that your power is properly torqued.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Do you happen to have a boost gauge that you can check psi levels?
    Different Gas?
    Heat soak?
    Knocking?

There are a number of things that it might be. Do you happen to notice anything other than bogging down?

No boost gauge.

It idles fine, no irregular noises/shudders.

I don't think it has anything to do with boost, most of the problems are all before the boost starts. I feel there is an air flow or fuel problem. Since it has been going on for a while, I don't think it is the fuel currently in the tank (only use 91/93 octane). Pulling the fuel filter means draining the fuel tank ('05) which isn't high on my list nor do I hear it is needed (unless I got bad gas and it hosed the fuel filter).

Fuel injectors? What's the best way to check that?

I check air filter and MAF. After that I would just be looking for clogged pipes.

Now that I talk about fuel, I'm wondering if I filled up with a place that was 10% ethanol instead of my normal place that doesn't blend the premium. That with the high temps here (100's) and AC running is just a number of small issues.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Rabbit View Post
    Pulling the fuel filter means draining the fuel tank ('05) which isn't high on my list nor do I hear it is needed (unless I got bad gas and it hosed the fuel filter).
    If you think it's a fuel issue, the best way to test that is with an AFR. Other than that you'd have to test the individual injectors. You could do some data logging to make sure the injectors are doing what they are supposed. And whoever told you that you have to drain the fuel tank to replace a filter is wrong. The fuel pump/filter can be reached by an access plate on the passenger side, in the trunk, right behind the back seat.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Check.

And AFR is a what?

To be fair. Hot weather is not nice to our cars when power comes into play.

Does it act similar in the mornings before it gets to 90+ degree's?

It has been doing this since winter/spring. Got a bit better after the new plugs went in, but got worse lately. Like most people we have been around 100 for a week, no rain here in WI for the last month. I'm sure the temperature is partly to blame.

So let me get this right...you are not feeling any power in low RPMs before the turbo starts to spool? How much throttle pressure are you giving it?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Yesterday, I gave full throttle (releasing the clutch around 1200 rpm as a test) and getting through a normal 2 lane road intersection I was doing 10-15 mph. 4-6 seconds to pass through

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to convey....I am not sure what your issue is. hmm...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast