Fuel Smell from the exhaust - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel Smell from the exhaust within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Incorrect! That swaybar is not stock. Also I don't recall the tubs being blue on that model year. Either that ...

Incorrect!

That swaybar is not stock. Also I don't recall the tubs being blue on that model year. Either that or my age is catch up with me. (EDIT: Apparently I am going blind. Those are just covers. Ignore me like everyone else does.)

If you are down to 1/4 tank I would probably just fill up with 93 octane and drive it easy until your next fill up. That should take care of the issue with poor performance.

The exhaust smell may be from a possible exhaust upgrade that was brought back to stock, and installed poorly. Maybe without a gasket?

I would get that checked out though. Other than that I guarantee you will love your car as you become more educated about it.

You have come to the right place though!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by power091999 View Post
    Incorrect!

That swaybar is not stock. Also I don't recall the tubs being blue on that model year.
    You are both smartasses.... I was talking specifically about the DOWNPIPE. I can't see the rest of the car

Besides that's a strut tower bar, not a swaybar. The hydraulic lines were blue from the factory on the 2004-2005.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So, stock is fine with me... I'm no racer. Can someone confirm that it is a stock 2.5 liter turbo? That's what it looks like in comparison with images in the online manual.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    So, stock is fine with me... I'm no racer. Can someone confirm that it is a stock 2.5 liter turbo? That's what it looks like in comparison with images in the online manual.
    No. It is a 2.0L turbo.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Do you just smell gas when the car is warming up? This may be normal as the car is in warm-up fuel enrichment mode. Is the car a manual or automatic? If an automatic, it will be sluggish regardless off the line. Keep in mind that a Kia Rio will have more off-the-line torque compared to this low-displacement, low-compression motor with a large exhaust restriction (turbo).
    Car is automatic. Sluggishness has increased from when it was first purchased a little over a month ago. Gas smell is not noticed when car is warmed up, but after running and occasionally during slower driving.

No. It is a 2.0L turbo.
    Can you tell me how to determine this?? I was basing it on the drawing in the manual, which near the alternator looks like the 2.5.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    02-05 wrxs are 2.0l. 06+ are 2.5

So unless te previous owner swapped it out, you have a 2.0l

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

You are both smartasses.... I was talking specifically about the DOWNPIPE. I can't see the rest of the car

Besides that's a strut tower bar, not a swaybar. The hydraulic lines were blue from the factory on the 2004-2005.
    TOUCHE! I had owned a 2003.... so im exempt.

OP: Do you have any more info about the history of the car? How many prior owners... etc?

Ok, I can see where simply comparing to the drawings won't tell me... based on photos online. But... if there is a way to look under the hood and make this determination, I'd be interested in knowing it!!

Thank you all for the input/knowledge so far! I hope that I am able to continue learning more and more. Would love to make some "real mods" in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by power091999 View Post
    TOUCHE! I had owned a 2003.... so im exempt.

OP: Do you have any more info about the history of the car? How many prior owners... etc?
    Unfortunately, not much. I believe I looked at a free Carfax report prior to purchase and didn't see any accidents or anything alarming. I want to say there were 2 previous owners. One of them didn't put hardly any miles on it, and the other did. I don't recall any other specifics, though.

zax
    Ok, I can see where simply comparing to the drawings won't tell me... based on photos online. But... if there is a way to look under the hood and make this determination, I'd be interested in knowing it!!

Thank you all for the input/knowledge so far! I hope that I am able to continue learning more and more. Would love to make some "real mods" in the future.
    If the previous owner did a 2.5L hybrid build, there would be no way to tell short of pulling the block and checking the code... or you can put your foot down and easily tell the difference .

Simply put, there was only ONE engine option available for the 2004 WRX, and that's the EJ205. The EJ257 was the STi motor, and this is clearly not an EJ257. Here are notable differences between the later EJ255 and the EJ205:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1507.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	106517

EDIT: At some point the fuel filter was moved to the fuel pump location... I thought this was in 2004? Are you sure this is a 2004?

Furthermore, the "sluggish" feeling of the car is likely the ECU learning the low octane 87 fuel. Likely it is pulling boost and adding timing to protect against detonation. I would fill the car with 93 IMMEDIATELY, then pull the battery leads and step on the brakes for 10 seconds. Then reconnect the battery leads. Your ECU should relearn the new fuel curve quickly.
    Last edited by zax; 07-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Facebook me here

If the previous owner did a 2.5L hybrid build, there would be no way to tell short of pulling the block and checking the code... or you can put your foot down and easily tell the difference .

Simply put, there was only ONE engine option available for the 2004 WRX, and that's the EJ205. The EJ257 was the STi motor, and this is clearly not an EJ257.

EDIT: At some point the fuel filter was moved to the fuel pump location... I thought this was in 2004? Are you sure this is a 2004?

Furthermore, the "sluggish" feeling of the car is likely the ECU learning the low octane 87 fuel. Likely it is pulling boost and adding timing to protect against detonation. I would fill the car with 93 IMMEDIATELY, then pull the battery leads and step on the brakes for 10 seconds. Then reconnect the battery leads. Your ECU should relearn the new fuel curve quickly.
    VIN search indicates 2004, as did the dealer. Thank you so much for the information! I won't be pulling any blocks to tell! And as for putting my foot down to tell.. I'll certainly wait to get better gas run through it!! But since I drive a standard Jeep... most anything feels pretty quick to me! Not sure I know enough that I'd be able to tell! I'll just go with 2.0 liter until I learn otherwise!!!

I'll fill up with the best gas I can find, and follow your suggestions with the battery leads afterward!!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    VIN search indicates 2004, as did the dealer. Thank you so much for the information! I won't be pulling any blocks to tell! And as for putting my foot down to tell.. I'll certainly wait to get better gas run through it!! But since I drive a standard Jeep... most anything feels pretty quick to me! Not sure I know enough that I'd be able to tell! I'll just go with 2.0 liter until I learn otherwise!!!

I'll fill up with the best gas I can find, and follow your suggestions with the battery leads afterward!!
    You can look between the alt and PS pump and it should be stamped with either EJ25 or EJ20. I suspect you will find EJ20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Ok... I thought asking where I could find 93 Octane was a stupid question... but I'm thinking it might not be. Any advice on where to go in Aurora, Colorado to find 93?

93 is probably a bit more on the rare side I know it's close to impossible for me to find here. If you only have access to 91 that is still much better than 87.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.