Got myself some jack stands

This is a discussion on Got myself some jack stands within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got jack stands, wich is good because it was make installing my exhuasts easier. But I need to ...

Got myself some jack stands

So I got jack stands, wich is good because it was make installing my exhuasts easier. But I need to figure out where I can rest the car on the jack stands. The spot for the OEM jack doesn't work. any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Jack up the car on the rear diff or front crossmember plate, then use the stock jack points, they work fine (at least on 02-07 models they do). You can jack anywhere along the entire side of the car, it might mar up the side skirt a little but thats it.

Why do you say they won't fit the factory jacking points? It depends what the top of the jack stand looks like but any of the ones I've seen fit just fine on that fin of metal.

One thing I do on most cars and jacks or jack stands is to use a block of wood between the car and jack/jack stand. Take a 4" long piece of 2x4 and drill a recess in the bottom center of it to fit onto the top of the jack stand for stability. Better yet use a piece of 3/4" plywood with a recess drilled into the bottom because a 2x4 will tend to split.

Another good thing you can use is a hockey puck. These are very strong and the rubber provides a good gripping surface. They work great as a jack pad instead of a block of wood. You can also use them as jack stand pads by drilling a recess in the bottom of them. They're just a good bit pricier than getting a piece of 3/4" plywood.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Appreciate the advice and help. The jack stands i have are almost like a very hollow U shape. But the bottom of it is only like an eighth of an inch lower then the sides, so it will ruin that pinch weld if
    I rest it on the OEM jack spot

how does the nameless sound?

I Support ClubWRX
    The pinch weld will be okay.

Worst case... it bends and then rests on the frame. I've had mine sitting up on those pinch welds a lot. They are fine. They are a tiny bit disfigured, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You know what works GREAT for jacks? If you route a channel down the center of hockey pucks
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Appreciate the advice and help. The jack stands i have are almost like a very hollow U shape. But the bottom of it is only like an eighth of an inch lower then the sides, so it will ruin that pinch weld if I rest it on the OEM jack spot
    It's just a pinch weld that nobody can see anyway. They're bent on probably 90%+ of Subarus and any other car I've seen that have them. Maybe 95%+.

I'd just go with the 3/4" plywood if you're that concerned about it. Use a circular saw or a router (no credit to Drews!) to cut a groover to rest it in if you want. You'll only need a groove that goes through 1 layer of the 6 in the plywood. You don't need one that goes through to the same depth as the pinch weld. Even without a groove it still won't bend it since it'll spread out the PSI so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The pinch weld will be okay.

Worst case... it bends and then rests on the frame. I've had mine sitting up on those pinch welds a lot. They are fine. They are a tiny bit disfigured, however.
    I disagree. I think the car will start to come apart as soon as he hits 88 mph due to the compromised unibody strength. It'll be like a banana at a monkey festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You know what works GREAT for jacks? If you route a channel down the center of hockey pucks
    No soup for you!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Best. Post. Ever.