Crazy Headlight problem: need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Crazy Headlight problem: need help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here are the symptoms of my problem: Car: 2006 WRX TR (no fogs) ^ Visual reference for you photographic memory ...

Crazy Headlight problem: need help

Here are the symptoms of my problem:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRX2.5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	106313
    Car: 2006 WRX TR (no fogs) ^ Visual reference for you photographic memory people

1) My passenger headlight is out (lowbeam)
    2) my car says constantly has the high beam indicator illuminated on the dash when lights are on
    3) I did have a blown fuse in the main fuse box which i replaced upon inspection
    4) when i put my brights on, all the lights in my passenger housing go out. (yes dark, everything, brights and lowbeams)
    5) I put a new bulb in the passenger low beam housing and tried again. But the new bulb does not illuminate bright like the driver side does, it just lights up dim orange like the inner lamp on the passenger side. So my problem still persists.

I have searched this on the forums but i cant seem to find the answer i need to fix this...

Has anyone had this issue before? would this be electrical or am I missing something here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WRX2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Which fuse was blown? I'm assuming the one for the lights, which points to the fact you have a short somewhere. You need to figure out why that fuse blew because it sounds like the root cause of that is still there and causing more issues.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

ill check the fuse...i think it was just the same side light fuse... so ill check all my wires and make sure there are no abnormalities, wear and tear, fraying water build up etc...

man im lost on whats going on and i dont want to pay a shop to do this but i might have to if i cant figure it out soon.

update:

The passenger side lowbeam bulb retainer spring or clip seems to have cut into the wiring for the low beam and made contact as it was simultaineously holding the bulb in place. this could explain a surge that would cause the fuse to blow (right?) because my replacement fuse blew as well.

this does not, however, explain to me why the Brights do not work at all on the passenger side. the fuse that is blowing is the 15A, RH Ilum fuse. im guessing driver is LH and Passenger is RH.

I could figure out what guague wire the light runs on and splice in a new section to the bulb just fine but im not sure if that would fix all my issues enough for me to not see an expert about the issue...

Start with fixing what's wrong and then see what happens. I don't know the full wiring enough to say that won't fix everything. It's an easy fix so go ahead and do it and see what happens.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Scott thanks for your eyes and ears on this thread, I spliced in a new section of wire to the headlight and shrink wrapped some protectant over the connectors and wall'a! head light is good to go.
    always feels good doing it yourself. (well, by myself i mean I had a Blackhawk Avionics repairer give me all his supplies and he insisted on doing it cause hes the pro...lol)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.