Car turns over then dies

This is a discussion on Car turns over then dies within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im not sure what is causing this but i can sometimes get it to run for 10 seconds before it ...

Car turns over then dies

Im not sure what is causing this but i can sometimes get it to run for 10 seconds before it kills itself. it usually kills itself right after it turns on so it doesnt run at all only when pressing the gas i can sometimes keep it running longer. I just changed the throttle position sensor and i also got a new mass air flow but nether of these changes solved the issue. Even when i take the maf out the car still dies it does not idle a solid 1 - 1.5k like its suppose to. I tried a different key and still it shuts off.

It is a 2002 subaru wrx the cel is on tomorrow im going to try to use my friends scanner to see what it says. before it was throwing a maf code but changing that solved nothing

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What mods and mileage are on the car?

Without knowing that plus what the CEL code is nobody is going to be able to help you so post back when you have it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Knock Sensor

F1 Racing Flywheel

F1 Stage 3 Clutch

Stage 2 (300 H.P.) UniChip

Xcceleration Short Throw Shift Kit

Samco Intercooler, Air Inlet and Water Hoses

GFB Pulley Set

Triple Headlights

18" zinik z30 Rims

225/45-18 Tires

Turbo back exhaust system w/3.5" tip, includes downpipe, high flow cat, intermediate pipe

MRT Flex Joint Uppipe

HIDs

The computer is turbo XS im thinking that could possibly be a problem and maybe i need to buy a new stock subaru computer and then my car will start again?

The car has like 101,000 miles

Tm going to try to check the CEL tomorrow

Is the computer running a tune to support all of those mods? Or is it some kind of standard tune?

Even if it is tuned, a LWFW is well known to cause ignition issues. When combined with those underdrive/lightened pulleys it can certainly cause issues. Personally I'd get rid of the pulleys because they're not in any way helping you, and go back to a stock flywheel. I'm guessing your codes are going to be misfire codes. You need to read the thread "IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE READ THIS" too.

When did this start happening and what changes did you install right before it happened?
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

im selling my car so im not going to get rid of the pulleys and i did see missfire codes before, i dont have the stock pulleys or a stock flywheel this just started happening 2 weeks ago, i just got my tranny rebuilt and then the shop took it for a test drive and it was fine then they did a oil change and after the oil change we never got my car started to stay running again...
    I dont think the computer was tuned with all the parts in the car but if it was it would not be of my knowledge because the person i bought the car from did most of the work well had most of the work done from a shop
    The computer is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120422_010945.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	106298

I just scanned my car and this is the results

4 CEL codes
    1: P0102 MAF or VAF A circuit low input
    I just installed a new MAF in my car.

2: P0113 IAT sensor 1 circuit high input

3: P0108 MAP/BARO circuit high input

4: P0244 Turbo/Sup wastegate solenoid A range/performance

I got the car running longer then ever since this problem started tonight i got it running for about 1 minute. While it was running the car was rocking while idling pretty bad i could easily tell it was misfiring very BAD and the exhaust is making popping / chugging noise also supports misfire seemingly, held the gas down for a moment when first started and then let off after holding around 3000 RPMS then the idle dropped to about 1000 RPMS without dieing for a bit but was still misfiring and then the car killed itself...

please someone give me some answers i been trying to do as much as i can to try to get the car running and driveable again......

FMS

If you have replaced your MAF sensor and your still throwing the code follow it back to your ECU and make sure the wire is connected well. I have heard of people having similar issues due to electrical connections not being fully seated.

4. PO244 is from overboosting. A pro-tune would fix this. You could try another OTS Tune (Cobb Accessport with a LWG tune)but I wouldnt recommend it over a pro-tune.

Feel free to PM us if you have any further questions.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

The thing abut the MAF though is even if a MAF is completely disconnected your car is suppose to run and idle at 1k - 1.5k RPMS i heard and with my car when i tried this my car still did the same thing it died shortly after it started it would not stay running i was thinking of buying a stock computer for my car and seeing if that would solve the issue

Engine Computer ECU IMPREZA 807289 02 | eBay

The wire connected to the MAF is tightly connected to i made sure it wasn't lose.

A stock computer isn't going to solve the problem. You need to have a tune that supports all of those mods. LWFWs are very well known to cause misfire issues all by themselves. If the ECU isn't running a map that supports all of those mods I'm amazing the car was running at all.

There's no way an oil change suddenly caused things not to work. You have much bigger issues.

You have several options:
    1. Put stock parts back on the car and return the ECU to a stock map.
    2. Find a tuner to put a custom map on the car designed for all of those mods.
    3. Start going through all of the mods one by one and trying to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

Without knowing what tune the car is running, your only real choices are 1 or 2. There is no other solution.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    A stock computer isn't going to solve the problem. You need to have a tune that supports all of those mods. LWFWs are very well known to cause misfire issues all by themselves. If the ECU isn't running a map that supports all of those mods I'm amazing the car was running at all.

There's no way an oil change suddenly caused things not to work. You have much bigger issues.

You have several options:
    1. Put stock parts back on the car and return the ECU to a stock map.
    2. Find a tuner to put a custom map on the car designed for all of those mods.
    3. Start going through all of the mods one by one and trying to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

Without knowing what tune the car is running, your only real choices are 1 or 2. There is no other solution.
    Ok, Thanks man i will have to get it tuned at a shop called REDLINE i believe then down a hour away. there are no shops around here that can tune my car for me i don't have any stock parts for the car because they were done before i bought the car

I am now going to try to make sure i know all the parts that are in my car so i can tell the company so they can give me a tune so my car will run again do you have any clue how much it may cost for them to do that for me?? i really hope its not that costly because i plan on selling my 02 wrx to get possibly a 05 STI