Clutch pedal feeling changed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Clutch pedal feeling changed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2012 WRX hatch. It currently has 1600 miles on it. I'll start by saying it's been awhile ...

I Support ClubWRX

Question Clutch pedal feeling changed

I have a 2012 WRX hatch. It currently has 1600 miles on it. I'll start by saying it's been awhile since I've driven a manual but I know how and through these 1600 miles I've gotten right back into manual without too much trouble. Well I was off the other day so I was running around town getting the "Honey-do-list" completed when I came out of a store and started to take off and the clutch pedal just felt different. Instead of being nice and smooth when in/out it almost felt like the spring changed or moved? It almost feels like a creaking door ya know? How it kind of stutters when I press/release the pedal. I'm going to stop by the stealership today and have them take a look while I'm out.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

And no thread is complete without a picture!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0688.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	106267

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just felt this the other day for the first time at about 1300 miles. It was just after starting the engine from cold (well, it's SoCal, so not cold. But, cold engine, about 60 ambient). It felt like a friction halfway through the pedal travel, as if the cable was rubbing against something. After a couple of minutes it went away. I wasn't planning on taking it in unless the problem persisted. But, if you're taking yours in, I'd be very interested to hear what they say.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I just felt this the other day for the first time at about 1300 miles. It was just after starting the engine from cold (well, it's SoCal, so not cold. But, cold engine, about 60 ambient). It felt like a friction halfway through the pedal travel, as if the cable was rubbing against something. After a couple of minutes it went away. I wasn't planning on taking it in unless the problem persisted. But, if you're taking yours in, I'd be very interested to hear what they say.
    There is no cable.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    There is no cable.
    Ok, but that's how it felt.

Mine started feeling like that a 9000 miles on my 2011 wrx. Went away though the other day. Idk what it was though
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Ok, but that's how it felt.
    How can you feel something that isn't there?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    How can you feel something that isn't there?
    You must train with Master Yoda.

I Support ClubWRX
    No ideas?

I know that feeling. Its like halfway through pushing in or letting out. Feels like a lot of friction. Does feel like a cable rubbing but as they stated there isn't one.
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah lots of friction. I don't get a "cable" feeling really but just doesn't feeeeel right. Didn't get a chance to stop by the stealership. Doing a group drive tomorrow with the local Las Vegas guys so I'll have some people check it out. Thanks for the help guys/gals

Mine used to do that (2010) .. it seems to be pretty common until you've got a good amount of mileage on the car. I'm not sure what causes it, mine would do it if I was driving aggressively. It hasn't affected the life of the clutch considering I'm at 87K mi now.. but up to about 35K mi it had that oddly "binding" feeling on clutch release. *shrug* dunno fella's.. just is the way it is.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I believe it's because your muffler bearings need grease.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I believe it's because your muffler bearings need grease.
    Is that kinda like blinker light fluid?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Mine used to do that (2010) .. it seems to be pretty common until you've got a good amount of mileage on the car. I'm not sure what causes it, mine would do it if I was driving aggressively. It hasn't affected the life of the clutch considering I'm at 87K mi now.. but up to about 35K mi it had that oddly "binding" feeling on clutch release. *shrug* dunno fella's.. just is the way it is.
    So you've heard of this before? But up to about 35k, that kinda sucks

need to reignite this thread cause my clutch has done this three times on my 2011. First at 10000 miles then at 15000 and then again a 28000 miles. Each time the problem happens when i drive a little aggressive. the clutch has a vibrating strange feeling but still engages properly just feels really weird. Good news is the clutch seems to work itself out after about 10 miles of driving and the vibration feeling from the clutch just goes away. wtf could this be? it almost feels like the clutch plate is in an awkward position and then reseats itself after driving a few miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast