30k mile service for 2011 WRX

This is a discussion on 30k mile service for 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my 2011 WRX about 2 weeks ago and it just clicked over to 29k, so I figured ...

Unhappy 30k mile service for 2011 WRX

I just bought my 2011 WRX about 2 weeks ago and it just clicked over to 29k, so I figured I'd start finding out about the 30k service. I looked it up in the maintenance schedule and it looks like it is mostly "inspection" stuff. Anyhow, I called one of the local dealers here in Southern California and the guy told me it would cost $1200. I know 30k mile services can be a little expensive, but that seems a little excessive....neigh....a lot excessive.

I called another one of the dealers and their estimate was much more reasonable...and about what I was expecting it to cost, somewhere around 3 and a half. Anybody have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think they get confused honestly. I've asked the same service manager 3 times about a particular service and gotten 3 different answers so ask them what the service includes. You can also opt out of some of the things they do.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I did...and I even asked him (and he said he would) email me a description of everything that they do. In the maintenance schedule it only recommends "inspections" for most things...other than like, oil. At this point I don't even want to take it there though. I don't feel comfortable haggling down the price of an inspecting AND THEN taking it in for the inspection.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by csevin View Post
    I did...and I even asked him (and he said he would) email me a description of everything that they do. In the maintenance schedule it only recommends "inspections" for most things...other than like, oil. At this point I don't even want to take it there though. I don't feel comfortable haggling down the price of an inspecting AND THEN taking it in for the inspection.
    Well then short answer, don't take it there. The shop that quoted you a lower price might only be quoting you the price of parts and not including labor. I'm not sure how and if dealerships are setup to charge by the book or by the hour. If they charge by the book they may be charging you for 4 hours of labor and only working on your car for two. Find a dealership that you feel will be fair and then stick to them. A good dealership will fight to keep your business because service is where they make their money. Just cover your bases and ask what parts you're paying for and how much labor you should be expected to pay. That way you can always use that as leverage if they try and charge you more.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks man...that's kind of what I'm doing. I've called around and other dealers seem to be more on par with the "less expensive" quote that I received. I'm going to call the one that is more convenient to get a list of what they will perform/inspect/replace and if it looks similar to what is recommended by Subaru, I will take it there. I still haven't received the email detailing the information from the first guy.

You can take it to the dealer and make sure you have a photocopied version of the manual with ONLY the services you want done at that time. Make sure they staple that sucker to the RO.. if they refuse to do what subaru recommends and want to do thier own thing instead ( most dealers try to sell you all kinds of stuff you dont need during service intervals) then take it somewhere else. You only need to do (and definitely should do) what's in the manual to satisfy your warranty agreement with SOA and keep your car in good condition. Anything beyond that is butter for the dealer.

Dont let them bs you.. most of the stuff that the dealer wants to do is not needed. Just as you mentioned and see in the manual its mostly inspectables and fluid changes. Expect to pay around $400 for the whole service if you do everything the manual states. I did that at 30k and 60K.. dealer did exactly what I detailed I wanted done right to the word in the manual. I even brought it in with me to make sure everything on the RO was in the manual and nothing outside of what I asked for. My dealer is really good about that stuff though so it was a very pleasant experience.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

do what you can on your own and then figure out what really needs to be done with the dealer. Air and cabin filter are easy enough to do.
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

i have a 09 with 22k miles i must be doing good.

I bout the car with like 28,8xx and I just I'm at 29,1xx right now...I just want to get it over with while I've got some free-time this week. I found a dealership and they said they go right down the line off of what is recommended in the manual and it's like $360.

It's not cheap...but it'll take me 4 years to rack up another 30k miles...so it's hardly "bad" either.

LaRiche Subaru | Vehicles for sale in Findlay, OH 45840

$215.80 for my 11. I just got the full synthetic 15k service for 69 bucks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    do what you can on your own and then figure out what really needs to be done with the dealer. Air and cabin filter are easy enough to do.

+1,000,000

The cabin filter takes about 4 minutes to change if you have crap in your glovebox....the filters cost $20-$30 (depending on brand etc.).....my stealership charges $89.95 to change the cabin filter!
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8