Ac compressor whine

This is a discussion on Ac compressor whine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just fixed my ac leak and charged up the system. Once the compressor kicked in I could hear a ...

Ac compressor whine

I just fixed my ac leak and charged up the system. Once the compressor kicked in I could hear a very loud squeal kind of like a belt. I replaced the idler pulley and tightened the belt well.

The sound was still there. Upon a close look I found that the squeal is coming directly from the ac compressor clutch. I could ony hear the squeal if I have the ac on.

The clutch (triangle) is really hard to turn by hand and gets stuck quite often.

Could this be fixed or will a new compressor be necessary?

Also if I do need to buy a new compressor will I need to recharge my system with r134a?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Whenever the system is open to atmosphere, you need to pull a vacuum. This will do two things -- allow you to see that there are no further leaks and remove any atmosphere (and associated moisture etc.) from inside the system. Did you do this?

If your belt is not an authentic Subaru I'd also suspect that.

Your last question made me pause for a bit frankly; if you replace the compressor not only will you need to of course recharge the system but also make sure you have the correct type and amount of oil in there (right?).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.