05 sti low boost

This is a discussion on 05 sti low boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Need some help how do you test your waste gate or blow off valve i have all most no boost.:...

05 sti low boost

Need some help how do you test your waste gate or blow off valve i have all most no boost.:
    Last edited by Sam sti; 06-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, you can build a tester for your boost system. You can also hookup an air compressor to your waste gate and see what PSI it opens at.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

What mods and mileage do you have? When did the problem start? Do you actually have an aftermarket blow off valve or the stock bypass valve?

The best way to test is with a smoke test since you can see any actual leaks.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Sad to say but yes it all stock expect i have stage 1 on it and it has 880000 miles on it.I think the turbo is bad i was running 17 lbs of boost last time i checked it. Now i have 8 lbs and i have some oil in the intercooler but not alot and its Not smoking.Thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply how much air psi should take to open the waste gate.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Any reason why your ECU is pulling boost? Any lean condition may cause this. 8 PSI is wastegate pressure as you know. Since the stock EBCS is a bleed-type and not an interrupt type solenoid, check to make sure that your restrictor pill is intact and in your boost line.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam sti View Post
    thanks for the reply how much air psi should take to open the waste gate.
    8 PSI for the IWG on the VF39/43/48, 7 PSI for the IWG on the TD04-xxT
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Sad to say but yes it all stock expect i have stage 1 on it
    How long have you had the tune on it? This didn't start happening as soon as or soon after you did the tune did it?

it has 880000 miles on it.
    Holy high mileage Batman!

I think the turbo is bad i was running 17 lbs of boost last time i checked it. Now i have 8 lbs and i have some oil in the intercooler but not alot and its Not smoking.
    Are you basing your diagnosis that the turbo is bad just based on the oil in the IC? That's perfectly normal to have oil in there. As long as it's not a lot then it's probably just fine, but still worth monitoring over time to ensure it's not increasing.

You should check all of your piping as a first step to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere. That's the most frequent cause of low boost on an otherwise stock (or stage 1) car. If you can do a pressure test instead of just relying on a visual/mechanical inspection that would be even better, but start by checking all of your pipes and connections to ensure they're tight and you don't have any holes.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Thanks it has 88k miles on it. i have been looking at all of the hoses and pipes and tested the wastegate and swaped my boost controler with a use for a test and reverted back to stock and still have 7psi this has to be a small problem it runs to good.I allmost for got i removed my blow off valve and put the stock one back on.

You said it was all stock except stage 1 now you're saying there was a BOV and MBC? Those mods aren't supported by a stage 1 tune. A BOV unless a recirculating one should never be used. What kind of BOV did you have on there? The MBC needs to be tuned for, and also shouldn't be used on the car anyway unless you're way farther along in your mod path.

Obviously there's a lot more to your story you're not telling so how about you start over and tell the truth on what mods the car has had and how this problem started and when?
    Scott

Inspector Scott is on the case!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You said it was all stock except stage 1 now you're saying there was a BOV and MBC? Those mods aren't supported by a stage 1 tune. A BOV unless a recirculating one should never be used. What kind of BOV did you have on there? The MBC needs to be tuned for, and also shouldn't be used on the car anyway unless you're way farther along in your mod path.

Obviously there's a lot more to your story you're not telling so how about you start over and tell the truth on what mods the car has had and how this problem started and when?
    Thanks for your reply sorry for the misunderstanding it is stock i put a the Bov on to test the bypass valve to see if that would fix it and it did not.The problem started last week.

Thanks i got my car fixed it was in safe mode and now its running Great i reset my computer to get it out of safe mode i must have got 87 octane by mistake my bad.