Recently bought 2002 WRX wagon, new to turbos and having some serious issues
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Recently bought 2002 WRX wagon, new to turbos and having some serious issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i've had the car for about 2 months. It has BPM front mount intercooler, BPM short ram with a ...

Recently bought 2002 WRX wagon, new to turbos and having some serious issues

So i've had the car for about 2 months. It has BPM front mount intercooler, BPM short ram with a crappy spectre filter, and a HKS blow off valve. The turbo is stock and the exhaust is also stock. Also it has a turbo timer and a boost gauge. The more I think and research the more it is becoming obvious that this car was probably heavily modded, then stripped of some of its parts before the sale. Any way, i have it now and the issues are as follows. The car boosts a maximum of 5-6 psi, and not until around 4000 rpms. I've found that the vacuum lines going from the actuator to the turbo, specifically the line that is supposed to have the restrictor pill, are incorrect. This would create a 7 psi maximum boost, correct? Also the car recently threw CEL p0171, which is lean condition bank 1. The car was running ok, some slight hesitation and stumbling idle. Today, I was checking all my connections on the intercooler lines, and found 1 hose clamp that was broke, and very loose. I replaced the hose clamp and tightened, then disconnected the negative terminal, pumped brake a couple times, re-connected and attempted to start and the car would not stay running, stuttered very badly and would barely respond to any amount of throttle. I heard some popping under the hood and smelled fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You've got quite a number of things going on. I'd start with fixing the vacuum lines. I'd also try and find a stock airbox to put in the car. You can often get these really cheap from somebody that's swapped in an aftermarket intake, or from a junkyard (especially here in CO where Subarus are so common).

Beyond that, I'd wonder what tune the car has. That intercooler and/or intake could also be causing issues, but you need to fix the vacuum lines first and pick off things one at a time that are wrong to try and fix this. So start there then post back with what problems you still have, and try and get a stock airbox too. I'd also try and find somebody that has a stock intercooler and swap yours back since it's just costing you power anyway and could be causing problems. You should be able to get money in addition to the stock intercooler from somebody. Get a stock BPV too to replace that BOV too. Again you should be able to get cash in addition to the stock parts.

You've got a lot of things you need to go back to stock with before anybody can really help you diagnose what's going on. Your only other option is to take it to a tuner and get datalogged and tuned for your parts, which is going to cost you at least $300 easily, and may not really fix your issues but just band-aid them.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Ok, yeaah im in the process of working a trade for the stock setup, but upon further inspection last night i found that the pcv line going into the inlet before the turbo was very loose, so i put a hose clamp on it and got it nice and tigtht. I also reset the computer again. When I tried to start it it did start but was still stumbling and running very rough, also heard a couple pops coming from around the intake area. I also had taken the MAF out to inspect it, and it didn't appear to be too dirty, the o ring was a little tweaked on one side though. Today i will replace the o ring and see what happens. I expected the car to run better with these obvious leaks fixed, but now it doesn't want to run at all. The only things I have done are inspect the MAF, and replace 2 hose clamps, 1 on the intake and 1 on the intercooler. I also know that the MAF is installed the way it came out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.