Gas efficiency and RPM - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Gas efficiency and RPM within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by poly_poly-man ..even if you're talking a steep uphill which requires WOT at 2k. Now acceleration is a ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    ..even if you're talking a steep uphill which requires WOT at 2k.

Now acceleration is a different matter altogether.

That's contradictory.. because driving up an incline is accelerating in a sense, even if RPMs are kept constant. I have the feeling WOT at 2k RPM is going to consume much more fuel than 7% throttle opening angle at 5k RPM.. when I get my car back I can test it and post graphs of IDC to see.

Think about the Top gear episode where they proved a Prius gets worse mpg than a M3 driving at the same pace..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The problem I have with that top gear episode is that they're fundamentally different cars, with completely different everything.

I'd really like to see that test done, actually - I may figure out a way to do it myself.

BTW, making sure I'm clear on this - the IDC for the 5k situation would be lower than the 2k situation, but has to be multiplied by 5/2, since there are 5/2 times as many injector firing events, right?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I shift at 2.5k and cruise on the highway at 65mph (speed limit here is 55 anyway lol). I'm averaging 24-27 mpg.

Not that mpg even matters
    +1

I have been watching my ScanGauge and how my gas mileage if effected by how I drive for the last 7+ years, and without fail I ALWAYS get better MPG when I shift early and keep the RPMs down... Now I'm sure there are "some" situations that higher RPMs may work out just a little better but generally not...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12