AIR PUMP needs replacement. CEL P0410, P1410, P2431, P2433

This is a discussion on AIR PUMP needs replacement. CEL P0410, P1410, P2431, P2433 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2006 auto WRX, 59K miles. I was told I need to replace my air pump and air ...

AIR PUMP needs replacement. CEL P0410, P1410, P2431, P2433

I have a 2006 auto WRX, 59K miles. I was told I need to replace my air pump and air injection valves. The error codes are P0410, P1410, P2431, P2433. Cost for parts is $1000, labor is $600. I read on the internet that the air pump is not required for the car to run, its used for passing smog tests. Can I forgo this repair?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Potentially, however the first thing to do is to make certain the parts are not covered under warranty. In your owner's manual there will be a separate section for emissions related component warranty. This is almost invariably the longerst, most advantageous warranty offered for any component under any circumstances. The dealer may not even be aware of those clauses; check there first.

Failing that, whether you can forego the repair will partially depend on future smog tests. If your car will be smogged in the future you need to search for pump deletion how-tos that also deal with the subsequent CELs.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The parts are not in warranty I have called Subaru to verify. So I guess I will postpone this repair until the next smog test. My car was unable to start once recently though, maybe it has something to do with the air pump problem.