STi has another problem, I expected it.

This is a discussion on STi has another problem, I expected it. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I brought my car to the dealership today, for an oil change. For the first time, they wrote to ...

STi has another problem, I expected it.

So I brought my car to the dealership today, for an oil change. For the first time, they wrote to come back in 3500 miles rather then 7,500. So I figure 'This should go smooth as hell since I was just there 3k miles ago, and it's the first time they wrote down the CORRECT oil change interval. But nope. Turns out, 1 bolt on each side of the rear axle is stripped.... How does this make any sense? I mean, I don't know much about cars or engineering, but I'm shocked that they would use weak enough metal that I had no idea the bolt was even going on ****-eyed. It screwed right on perfectly, which makes me wonder if the thread had gotten stripped before that and it was just following its own pattern?

I got this car, and yes I admit I beat on it pretty hard because I didn't know much about cars and I treated it like Subaru advertised it. It started to get problems, and I quickly was slapped into shape and started treating the car right, with much respect and knowing that How I treated it was how it was going to treat me in return. I now treat the car with respect, no longer bring it onto grass fields or gravel paths, but stuff still seems to be breaking and going wrong. Now that I think about it, those getting stripped had nothing to do with driving, would have just been me rushing to screw the bolt on or whatever, but I really want this car to last me a good 6-7 years, and I do not want to be constantly replacing parts. When I get the car back tomorrow, I'm crawling up under it, completely cleaning the underneath of it, then treating it like a 1 mil show car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just out of curiousity what were you playing with those bolts for?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Just out of curiousity what were you playing with those bolts for?
    This.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

The only reason to remove these bolts are to rebuild the Diff or install a larger rear diff cover.
    I don't get it.

Btw, it's made of aluminum. It does than when you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    The only reason to remove these bolts are to rebuild the Diff or install a larger rear diff cover.
    I don't get it.

Btw, it's made of aluminum. It does than when you're doing it wrong.
    yea, yuo can almost weld aluminum pieces together by over finger tightening them lol
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    So I brought my car to the dealership today, for an oil change. For the first time, they wrote to come back in 3500 miles rather then 7,500. So I figure 'This should go smooth as hell since I was just there 3k miles ago, and it's the first time they wrote down the CORRECT oil change interval. But nope. Turns out, 1 bolt on each side of the rear axle is stripped.... How does this make any sense? I mean, I don't know much about cars or engineering, but I'm shocked that they would use weak enough metal that I had no idea the bolt was even going on ****-eyed. It screwed right on perfectly, which makes me wonder if the thread had gotten stripped before that and it was just following its own pattern?
    Sorry if I'm not reading this and comprehending correctly... but they want you to return in 3500 miles in order to check on that stripped bolt?

And also, what the other guys said.

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure you aren't talking about the wheel hub bolts?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX

I got this car, and yes I admit I beat on it pretty hard because I didn't know much about cars and I treated it like Subaru advertised it. It started to get problems, and I quickly was slapped into shape and started treating the car right, with much respect and knowing that How I treated it was how it was going to treat me in return. I now treat the car with respect, no longer bring it onto grass fields or gravel paths, but stuff still seems to be breaking and going wrong. Now that I think about it, those getting stripped had nothing to do with driving, would have just been me rushing to screw the bolt on or whatever, but I really want this car to last me a good 6-7 years, and I do not want to be constantly replacing parts. When I get the car back tomorrow, I'm crawling up under it, completely cleaning the underneath of it, then treating it like a 1 mil show car
    Why did they need to loosen a rear axle bolt to change the oil?

That makes about as much sense as pulling the stereo to bleed the brakes...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    I feel like this dealership is trying to take advantage of you or something.

It's always something different from them man.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Are you sure you aren't talking about the wheel hub bolts?
    misunderstanding. they are rear-hub bolt's and I had to remove the tires to put the rear mudflaps on

KHP
    misunderstanding. they are rear-hub bolt's and I had to remove the tires to put the rear mudflaps on
    Did you happen to use a torque wrench to torque them correctly when installing the wheels(should be ~72.5ft/lbs)? It's very easy to over torque those nuts/bolts with a decent size breaker bar. People tend to over torque them when not using a torque wrench to make sure not to have the wheels fly off when driving. Over torquing them is bad for the bolts/nuts(as you just found out) and wheels especially if you have the expensive BBS wheels.

This is the first time I've heard of the bolt stripping. They usually break off before stripping.

Maybe its a little late now, but I would highly recommend torque wrench in the future when you decide to do work yourself.
    Last edited by KHP; 06-18-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)