A/C Problems for 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on A/C Problems for 2002 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping to get some help from the those in the know. Here's ...

A/C Problems for 2002 WRX

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping to get some help from the those in the know. Here's the short of it:

I was trying to recharge the A/C on my 2002 WRX and the compressor completely stopped turning. Initially, I attached the recharge can to the low pressure valve as instructed, but the pressure gauge did not register any movement whatsoever. Again following instructions, I released about half of the can into the system, waited 3 minutes, and tried again. Then, I heard a low pop or knock, the compressor stopped spinning, and the needle on the recharge can finally registered pressure (about 35 psi - within the desired range). Now, the compressor doesn't spin, and the A/C still doesn't blow cold. Any suggestions? Thanks for your advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Is the acc belt spinning the compressor at all? If not, you may need to replace the clutch pack that controls the compressor on/off.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yes, the A/C belt is spinning. I discharged the system, waited 20 min, and re-started the car. The compressor let out a squeal and started turning again. But, as soon as I started the charge the A/C, the same thing happened: "clunk" and no spinning.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by magikWRX View Post
    Yes, the A/C belt is spinning. I discharged the system, waited 20 min, and re-started the car. The compressor let out a squeal and started turning again. But, as soon as I started the charge the A/C, the same thing happened: "clunk" and no spinning.
    So you're clutch doesn't engage then. Looks like you'll need to replace it. I'd check the connections to the clutch first to make sure you don't have an electronic failure.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/