Engine Idle Tapping 06 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Engine Idle Tapping 06 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Decided to put in Shell gas instead of Valero gas. Maybe that will make a difference....

Decided to put in Shell gas instead of Valero gas. Maybe that will make a difference.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Boxer engines are a lot noisier than other engines. I would stay away from jiffy lube and other lube shops. It takes 15 minutes outta your day to change your oil; and you know you're getting quality oil in it and not some cheap generic crap And as for a quart low yes this is typically normal for these cars to be a quart low on oil. Some consume oil sooner than others. My car consumed oil every 1-2k miles it would suck down a quart. Make sure you're topping of the oil frequently. My recommendation is to check your oil every time you fuel up your car with gas. If you were a quart low at 5k miles my assumption leads me to believe you were low on oil for awhile.

So lets clear some stuff up here. I do not go to Jiffy Lube every single time I need an oil change. I may have gone twice in the last 6+ years I have owned the car. Yes, twice may be 2 too many times but it happens. The reason I went last time is because the engine noise was louder so I thought an oil change may help and I needed to get a chip in my brand new windshield of 2 weeks fixed on a Sunday.

Normally, I have the dealer do it when they have the 14.95 coupons. It is what works for me.

Also, I have owned the car for 6+ years and over 100k miles. I know boxer engines make more noise than a normal engine. I was trying to point out the noise was louder than usual, as in changed. I didn't just buy the car from someone and notice the engine was loud. It was at one level one day and a louder level another day. There was a change, that is why I original posted.

My gas mileage has not gone down, and the power still seems to be there. Therefore I don't feel there is something seriously wrong.

I appreciate the suggestions, but please lets get over the Jiffy Lube thing and reaffirming boxer engines are louder than normal engines. As mentioned before, the engine is louder than it was before.

My last question is, what qualifies as cheap generic crap? Anything but Royal Purple or another synthetic? They put in Pennzoil 5w30 high mileage. It is not like they put in Sams Club special made from the oils of dead baby seals.
    Last edited by dradran; 08-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.

I have came across something really shocking! (read previous post of my problem)

After racking my brain on what could be causing the strange ticking noise from the drivers side of the engine, I came up with a new testing criteria. I notice that most of the time it ticks when I come to a stop and let it idle. But one day when I was “getting on it” I notice that the noise went away. WTF!!! I traced it back to how I decelerate. If I come down from a high rpm (5000rpm) and heavy down shift and come to a stop it will not tick. If I come down from the same rpm and just push in the clutch and come to a stop it will tick. To me it sounds like the AVS is sticking and it needs some type of back pressure to kick out.

If anyone else has a similar noise, Please try it and see if it is the same for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.