Anybody just let their dealer put "Genuine Subuaru" synthetic oil in their car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anybody just let their dealer put "Genuine Subuaru" synthetic oil in their car? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If so, what's your opinion of it? I'm about to do my first oil change soon and am wondering if ...

Anybody just let their dealer put "Genuine Subuaru" synthetic oil in their car?

If so, what's your opinion of it?

I'm about to do my first oil change soon and am wondering if that's fine or if I should bring my own oil.

And I live in a condo and don't have any place to change my own oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    At my dealership they use valvoline synthetic. Don't know about genuine Subaru oil.

Just did my oil change at 4200 miles on my '12 if this is the oil that comes from factory seemed fine. For a synthetic with 4200 miles it was unbelievably clean looking, not black but a golden brown. It's only $7.69 so it is competitively priced with other synthetics. Also on a side-note Subaru factory filter is less than $7 and crush washer is $1.20 from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxPower View Post
    At my dealership they use valvoline synthetic. Don't know about genuine Subaru oil.
    That's what the letter that I got from them called it.

It's good oil. Subaru dealer only wanted to change my oil every 7k. I wasn't comfortable with this so I dumped it at 3800 miles. Put a K&N oil filter on it that was a tad bit smaller than stock and Castrol Synthetic 5w-30. I'll have them change it at 7k.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I'm actually not sure how I feel about the Subaru branded oil. Everyone drives their cars differently and in different places so don't take my experience too heavily, but I'm not really pleased with it. I had a good bit of it consumed during the break-in, which is to be expected. Then I switched to Mobil1 synthetic and didn't have any consumption at all. Then I was lazy and didn't feel like going to both walmart and the dealership so I got the oil from Subaru again and that also had a decent amount of consumption. So I'm going back to Mobil1 this weekend and sticking with it for now. I've been changing it at 7500 mile intervals for what it's worth and this is on a 2011 WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I'm actually not sure how I feel about the Subaru branded oil. Everyone drives their cars differently and in different places so don't take my experience too heavily, but I'm not really pleased with it. I had a good bit of it consumed during the break-in, which is to be expected. Then I switched to Mobil1 synthetic and didn't have any consumption at all. Then I was lazy and didn't feel like going to both walmart and the dealership so I got the oil from Subaru again and that also had a decent amount of consumption. So I'm going back to Mobil1 this weekend and sticking with it for now. I've been changing it at 7500 mile intervals for what it's worth and this is on a 2011 WRX.
    Hmm.. so there's consumption if you change it every 7500. That's interesting, thanks for the info. I used Mobile 1 on my previous car but it can be pricey especially since I like to change my oil every 3-5K.

Yea I change it somewhere between 6-7.5k miles. Honestly though the consumption wasn't even that bad. Not enough to set the low oil light off. I just like to check it since I drive the car hard and I noticed it was going down.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are threads about this already but Subaru states to change every 3750 miles.. I myself have been getting my oil change about every 4000-4500 and checking oil levels every other fill up.

There are threads about this already but Subaru states to change every 3750 miles.. I myself have been getting my oil change about every 4000-4500 and checking oil levels every other fill up.
    There was a TSB were they upped it to 7k. I am doing mine around 3750 though. Have a lot of cold starts, stops and spirited driving.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    There was a TSB were they upped it to 7k. I am doing mine around 3750 though. Have a lot of cold starts, stops and spirited driving.
    When was it issued??I was at the dealership about 2 months ago and it was stated 3750.

When was it issued??I was at the dealership about 2 months ago and it was stated 3750.
    I got a letter dated April 11th:

"Since proper maintenance is essential to keep your Subaru in top shape, we will be sending you reminders to let you know when important servicing is recommended. The factory recommended service intervals for your Subaru being at 7,500 miles and every 7,500 miles thereafter."

I don't agree with waiting that long. I'll change it every 3750 and let them do every other oil change since it is "free".
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

As long as you use synthetic oil, changing it every 7K is not a problem, if you drive it normally/spiritedly. (not racing) OIL & ENGINE technology has come a long... long... ways, in the last 20+ years. Anyone changing their oil too soon, before 7K, is just wasting $ and oil.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I take my car in to the dealer around every 3,000 miles and they use full synthetic. I'll ask what brand next time, but I believe it's the Subaru branded oil. I'll let them do it until my warranty is up or if I have the free time to do it.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

On a side note of consumption...I went through less than half a quart in the 1st 4200miles. Obviously that was with factory oil. I also got the same letter in the mail in May about the 7500 mile interval. On mysubaru.com the intervals to record your oil changes are at 3750 miles. My dealer's opinion is 7500 miles is little steep but I know they're out to make money. I'm just not gonna go past 4500 miles no matter what and screw what everybody thinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast