Pop/Clunk sound coming from front of car when starting from a stop

This is a discussion on Pop/Clunk sound coming from front of car when starting from a stop within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just started to notice this on my 2006 WRX. Sometimes when I start from a stop at a stop ...

Pop/Clunk sound coming from front of car when starting from a stop

I just started to notice this on my 2006 WRX. Sometimes when I start from a stop at a stop sign for example once I give the car gas and I start moving I hear a slight pop/clunk sound from the front end. It doesn't always do this. It's very intermittent. If I stop at 10 stop signs I will probably only do it once. I have not noticed it between gears or down shifting, just starting from a stop. I can slightly feel it on the floor boards. Where should I start looking?

Thanks,
    Zach

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Axle, tie rod ends, steering, suspension, debris, and maybe even in that order.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Axle, tie rod ends, steering, suspension, debris, and maybe even in that order.
    Axles, tie rod ends, ball joints are all new within the last 10k miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zach1288 View Post
    Axles, tie rod ends, ball joints are all new within the last 10k miles.
    Why? Was the car wrecked?
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Why? Was the car wrecked?
    No just maintenance. The car has 107k on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Axle replacement is not 'maintenance'. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot without actually seeing anything. Is there more to this story? Could you get the car up and post some pics?
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Axle replacement is not 'maintenance'. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm just trying to help you troubleshoot without actually seeing anything. Is there more to this story? Could you get the car up and post some pics?
    When the axles are leaking/clunking and old they needed replaced. I consider that maintenance?

There is no story haha. I started hearing a clunk so I posted on this website.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no reason for axles to clunk. They are not a wear item. If you did not replace the axles with authentic parts that may be part of the issue.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There is no reason for axles to clunk. They are not a wear item. If you did not replace the axles with authentic parts that may be part of the issue.
    When the CV joints wear out they click and make noise. I replaced them with OEM axles.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK that's good. Then check everything else above.