Timing belt sliding back off pulleys
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Timing belt sliding back off pulleys within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I replaced the full timing belt setup on my 02 WRX with a Gates kit a few weeks ago - ...

Timing belt sliding back off pulleys

I replaced the full timing belt setup on my 02 WRX with a Gates kit a few weeks ago - belt, idlers, water pump and tensioner. everything went back together fine and has been running good, but I removed the cover and found that the belt has slid back and is rubbing against the back cover. Its starting to wear on the belt, and there's black soot everywhere. Any guesses as to why this is happening or how to fix it. I didn't mess with the belt guides so could it be that? btw I'm going to be getting another belt then

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you pull the pin on the tensioner? Did you forget the lower small last pulley? The guides and belt should never meet anyway as far as I know.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Did you pull the pin on the tensioner? Did you forget the lower small last pulley? The guides and belt should never meet anyway as far as I know.
    Yes, and No. I think im going to take everything off and start fresh. Could the torque of the idlers be affecting it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not think so and am baffled as to why this could be happening. In at least one of the how to threads here though all the torques are posted.

The one value that might I suppose affect it is the torque for the tensioner, and from memory that's lower than the others. Check the values and I guess check the parts to see you have the right belt?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This happened to me a few months ago after I did my timing belt, but the cause was obvious. I pulled off that front black cover and found the soot from it rubbing against the cover. The bolt that holds the tensioner on was sheared and the car gods were holding it in place until I got home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IObJV.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	105702
    No bueno.
    That was obvious though, so I'd say check all your pulleys and make sure none of them are sheared. Maybe one of them is cross threaded and holding the belt at an angle? I'm just throwing out ideas now. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryouko View Post
    This happened to me a few months ago after I did my timing belt, but the cause was obvious. I pulled off that front black cover and found the soot from it rubbing against the cover. The bolt that holds the tensioner on was sheared and the car gods were holding it in place until I got home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IObJV.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	105702
    No bueno.
    That was obvious though, so I'd say check all your pulleys and make sure none of them are sheared. Maybe one of them is cross threaded and holding the belt at an angle? I'm just throwing out ideas now. Good luck.
    you got lucky with that one, Ill be sure to check out all the bolt when I get her apart later this week

I Support ClubWRX
    So what led either of you to remove the cover, was there noise or?

Had a whining noise after i changed the belt, assumed it was just because i got some coolant on it while i was changing it. It was only audible at idle, so after a couple days i pulled off the right cover and found that black crap all over

I Support ClubWRX
    I see, makes sense.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.