Clutch "chatter" after repeated clutch use in a parking lot - normal?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clutch "chatter" after repeated clutch use in a parking lot - normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was at a parking lot tonight looking for a parking space and had to repeatedly use my clutch since ...

Clutch "chatter" after repeated clutch use in a parking lot - normal?

I was at a parking lot tonight looking for a parking space and had to repeatedly use my clutch since I was just going from 1st to 2nd gear over and over again. Had to do this for close to 20-30 min. I think I smelled my clutch burning a little but am not sure. Then I started to feel slight vibrations (or "chatter" is what it seems to be called from a google search) when using the clutch.

My car only has 850 miles on it. Is this normal? Should I be worried about any major damage being done? This is only my 2nd manual car in my 35 yr lifetime. I don't know much about these cars and am a little worried.

Thanks for any info.

EDIT: Also, I've been very careful up until this point with taking it easy with everything. Have never launched or anything. But tonight I had no choice when looking for a parking space in a crowded parking lot.
    Last edited by Hung_Wei_Lo; 06-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    While the clutch is still new it needs to be broken in, lots of slippage can cause it to hot spot the flywheel. You may have deposits on the flywheel now that are causing it to chatter..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    While the clutch is still new it needs to be broken in, lots of slippage can cause it to hot spot the flywheel. You may have deposits on the flywheel now that are causing it to chatter..
    Thanks. What does that mean though? The deposits. Something I need to get repaired? It seems to have lessened to the point of almost being non existent after I didn't drive it for 3 hours and drove it again. I still feel it a little.

Well.. hot spots cause the flywheel to become brittle (and chatter). There is the potential for it to shatter, explode, or whatever because of being brittle. Some people would say it's a hazard and should be replaced.. personally I wouldn't worry about it that much. If the chatter isn't unbearable then I would just forget about it and try to go easy and not slip it too much in the future.

It's definitely not unbearable. Can barely feel it now. And it's insane that I even have to consider replacing it just because I drove around a parking lot for 20 min with only 850 miles on the clutch. These things can't be that fragile....

Thanks for all the info, MainFrame.

yeah .. once the clutch is good and broken in it will handle more slippage without hot spotting, I think the issue here is that it wasn't quite broken in yet. With a relatively new clutch you don't want to hardly slip it at all for the first couple thousand miles.. I'm not sure how long it really takes for a clutch to become broken in though.

I've been reading more online and it seems some people say the flywheel will "even out" from using the clutch more and this shouldn't be an issue. I hope that's the case. Again, I don't want to have to replace anything at just 850 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    This JUST happened to me. I've been searching for over an hour now trying to figure out what it is and what to do. I'm at 1600 miles on my '12 and I was contemplating taking it to the dealer today while I was off.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.