02 WRX - Bad clutch or something else?

This is a discussion on 02 WRX - Bad clutch or something else? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I'm thrilled, I'm picking up my 2002 WRX tomorrow! I've been talking with the guy for a couple weeks ...

02 WRX - Bad clutch or something else?

Hi

I'm thrilled, I'm picking up my 2002 WRX tomorrow! I've been talking with the guy for a couple weeks now and he seems very honest and upfront about the vehicle. He just recently replaced the water pump and the timing belt and he says the car runs like a top! He says he would drive it to California (from Alabama) with no worries at all...In fact, one time I spoke to him, he was doing some work in Mobile, AL, which is several hours from his home..I doubt he would have taken it if there were serious issues. It has 130,00 miles and it completely stock, with the exception of an exhaust...

He originally had it posted for $8,200. Long story short, he told me a couple days ago that he would sell it to me for $7,800 because he noticed lately that the clutch pedal has to be pressed further in than usual...he said that he doesn't think the clutch has ever been replaced. He said it does NOT pop out of gear, shutter, or slip in ANY way, shape, or form...This leads me to believe it's hydraulic related..This is my first time owning a manual transmission, but I know that the clutch has a device similar to a brake booster...come to find out, there's a "master" and a "slave" cylinder..

He says that there are no leaks, and apparently if it's either the master or the slave, it WILL be leaking..What does it sound like it could be? I need to replace the clutch anyways, and I will within the first several months of owning the vehicle... apparently, it needed to be changed at about 80,000. I just really don't want to buy a $7,800 car and turn right around and replace the clutch...The master/slave, on the other hand, i hear is very easy and inexpensive to replace, so it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

Again, I have little knowledge of manuals, other what i've picked up from other people and the recent research i've been doing. Furthermore, I'm asking for a diagnosis based on symptoms described by someone else; I've yet to even see the vehicle..but nonetheless, I'd like to be as well-prepared as possible. Hopefully tomorrow night (If I decide to drive home with the car) I will be able to give you more details...I will be driving the car for several hours back home, so it should be plenty of time to get a feel for it.

Also, if anyone could inform me of known problems people face with 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX's, I'd appreciate it! So far, all I've been able to determine is that the "gearset" on the 02's were weak, and they were upgraded on the 2003 model...I've heard people say do NOT put a heavy-duty clutch on it if it's completely stock as well..is this a concern?

thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would only replace it with an OEM clutch unless you're upgrading the transmission too. Usually the clutch will slip, so change in pedal feel is a little abnormal. Like you said, sounds like a hydrolic problem .. or it could be a mechanical issue with the clutch itself. As long as it isn't the transmission you shouldn't be too bad off. The flywheel should be replaced along with the clutch. As far as cost, that's going to depend on who does the work. It wouldn't be out of line to expect to pay $1200 to replace it, although I have had shops charge as little as $300 in labor when I brought them the parts. Clutch install isn't that difficult.

The price of the car seems a little high to me. Remember you're talking about a ten year old car with 130k miles. It's at that point in its life where it is no longer going to be trouble free. It wouldn't be surprising to have A/C, alternator, or other problems. My 02 has 120k miles and I recently had an alternator crap out, and my A/C compressor sounds like it's on its way out as well. I'm also beginning to have slight electrical problems, like my dash lights flickering off and on when I go over bumps. These are things to be expected with an older car.

I would look at the blue book value, subtract the cost of the repairs you are going to need, and see how that number lines up with the asking price. If the car has been well maintained and you don't beat it to death it could last for a long time, and in the end it's up to you whether it's worth the money or not.

Thanks Mainframe!

The final negotiated price is $7,200, which is about $300-400 OVER the bluebook value..but the car is extremely well taken care of, in pictures at least, whatever that's worth

I too would expect the alternator, AC or even battery, radiator, distributor, fuel pump...I totally agree...It seems to be expected around that mileage, regardless of the make of the vehicle.

The only way to find out is to buy it! Lord knows, it will be better than my truck no matter what...I was afraid I wouldn't make it through the week..

apparently, the 02 WRX doesn't have master/slave system...I've yet to confirm that. I guess it's done via the pulley system. I have a lot of friends that have said for years that they are driving on a toasted clutch...I will try to ride it out as much as possible before getting it replaced. I do intend on doing the work myself, since I have several friends who could help me out greatly.

thanks again!
    Last edited by savestheeday; 06-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by savestheeday View Post
    apparently, the 02 WRX doesn't have master/slave system...I've yet to confirm that.
    Not sure where you got that from but yes, yes they do.
    -Geoff

'02 WRB WRX Wagon
    '04 Silver MINI

Buy my Stuff!!! http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/person...-part-out.html

shouldn't the clutch be pressed to the floor on every shift?

thanks for verifying Blue. after researching i discovered they did indeed have master/slave..i will make sure to check for any leaks and also to bleed the lines well. Possibly the clutch was replaced and they left air in the lines; we'll see.

xBoostedx, I haven't driven many manuals...maybe 6-7, but only 2 of which i was very comfortable with...On, for example, an old honda civic, I had to push pretty far down in order to shift..pretty much to the floor. On my friends 3000gt, it seemed like you had to be "snappy" with the clutch, and it didn't require AS MUCH pedal movement...I'm not the person to answer, but I would say it depends on the car, but also the condition of clutch and possibly hydraulic or transmission related...

I've never driven a Subaru, so I couldn't say how the 02 WRX clutch is suppose to feel.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding lol but, whenever you depress the clutch you should put it too the floor quick and then let out for it to catch. Are you meaning that when the clutch is let out, it seems to catch quicker relative to pedal travel? Or maybe other way around. Also correct me if im way off right now..