car went for a swim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on car went for a swim within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So on Monday, I was at my gfs house and was leaving. The road she lives on is next to ...

Red face car went for a swim

So on Monday, I was at my gfs house and was leaving. The road she lives on is next to a canal, and it flooded due to high tide and the rain.

I drove through it because I had to get home, and didn't realize how deep it was. As I was driving through it, I saw a minivan with the water up to the bottom of its bumper. My car is lowered.

I didn't stop, and managed to make it through, but the splash guard under the car ripped off a bit, and the whole underside was exposed to salt water. I also believe the salt water made it into the engine bay.

Today, I put the car up on a jack, and took the splash guard off. I hosed off the engine bay, and then sprayed some simple green all over it. While I let that sit for a bit, I hosed off the entire underbody of the car, then hosed off the engine bay again to rinse it off. I started to car to help it dry off.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure the salt water won't cause damage?

i planned on changing oil, tranny oil, brake fluid, pads and rotors in about another 1500 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Paging Capt. Drews, call on Line 1!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Paging Capt. Drews, call on Line 1!
    He is the first person I went to when I had a similar problem lol. If you have an after market intake make sure the filter and mass airflow sensor is dry!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Drews is more of an expert on freshwater. For saltwater other than hosing the car down thoroughly I don't see what else can be done .& +1 on the CAI,if you have one.

Isn't this the second time the car got flooded?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I do have a cai, but didn't check it. My afr was still good at idle. And if it was wet, it should be dry by now.

Last time I had the intake manifold off and we had a storm. One side of the heads flooded with rain water.

Where did the salt water come from? Rain, and most canals are freshwater.

I assume the canal is saltwater since it goes out into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    I would assume the canals flow INTO the ocean, not FROM the ocean. The Delaware River in NJ is freshwater, but flows INTO the Ocean as well. Makes a big difference.

How the hell did you get an entire head to fill up with water???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    Likely brackish water
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

You may be surprised, it's probably fresh water moving out to the ocean. Ocean water typically does not flow upstream

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The car made it through the water fine and has been working since then, so obviously nothing was really in a position to get damaged. Hosing it off was a good idea and I wouldn't worry about doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    You may be surprised, it's probably fresh water moving out to the ocean. Ocean water typically does not flow upstream
    Yes it absolutely does. Tides will push salt water upstream in any river, stream, bay, etc that's near the ocean.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I think any more replies are moot until Drews can provide his expert opinion.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Finally got to go for a drive today. Afr idles at 14.5, which is close.

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    He is the first person I went to when I had a similar problem lol. If you have an after market intake make sure the filter and mass airflow sensor is dry!
    I'm going to change my filter and clean my maf today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I would assume the canals flow INTO the ocean, not FROM the ocean. The Delaware River in NJ is freshwater, but flows INTO the Ocean as well. Makes a big difference.

How the hell did you get an entire head to fill up with water???
    I had the intake manifold off and was waiting on my tgv deletes from grimmspeed when a hurricane decided to visit. Water from all the rain got in.

Wow so random. That had to suck!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You should be fine. Since you didn't have to stop and you were able to plow through without incident, you should have a problem. Since your car starts and runs at close to your correct AFRs, I wouldn't concern myself. The major problem is when it sits submerged. The it gets into your trans, diffs, and anywhere else it can. You should be alright. I'd scrub the underbody of the car if you have access to a lift, normal hosing and simple green is no match for salt water.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast