Subaru WRX Forum banner

'06 WRX Air Pump stuck on

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Drews 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with an issue I just experienced with my WRX yesterday.

I pulled into work after lunch and noticed when I turned the car off that something sounded like it was still running under the hood. Popped it open and one of the fans was still going full tilt. I stupidly assumed that since it was a warmer day, it was just something running a bit extra to cool stuff down. Shut the hood, went into work.

When I tried to start my car later that evening, the battery was completely drained. I got myself jumped, and the same fan immediately spun up and sounded like it was running 100% again. Turned the car off to test, and it kept going, so I assume it just ran until the battery was fully drained. I got home and ended up pulling the negative cable to the battery so it wouldn't drain out again.

This red circled item on the right is the offending part.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

After some research online it looks like it's the primary air pump, but I don't see a resolution for it, other than people recommending it just be pulled.

Is there a quick/easy fix I could do myself on this? Should I take it in to a mechanic?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like it's time to do an air pump delete! I'd try unplugging the air pump and plugging it back in first. Other than that, I've never seen this issue.

#4 ·
Cool, I'll give that a try when I get home.

I've been reading up on the Air Pump deletes a bit but am still kinda nervous about it. Other than potential cold start emission test issues, there really is no problem with just yanking the entire thing out?

#7 ·
I'd really want to know the root cause of why it's happening before just unplugging it to fix the problem.

#10 ·
I would too...but it could very well be a loose connection or something causing it to go haywire. Reseating the plug may fix the issue. I'd start there, it seems to be the simplest solution IMO.

#11 ·
Hmm so reseating it unfortunately did not resolve the issue. Battery is currently connected back up and the power is pulled from the air pump. I assume with things not properly blocked off this would not be a good configuration to drive around in?

Going to check fuses on the off chance it's that, but barring that I guess I'll have to zip it over to a mechanic to get it looked at.

#13 ·
Even if a relay is closed, they are usually on switched power. Especially with components like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.