'06 WRX Air Pump stuck on

This is a discussion on '06 WRX Air Pump stuck on within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with an issue I just experienced with ...

'06 WRX Air Pump stuck on

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on how to proceed with an issue I just experienced with my WRX yesterday.

I pulled into work after lunch and noticed when I turned the car off that something sounded like it was still running under the hood. Popped it open and one of the fans was still going full tilt. I stupidly assumed that since it was a warmer day, it was just something running a bit extra to cool stuff down. Shut the hood, went into work.

When I tried to start my car later that evening, the battery was completely drained. I got myself jumped, and the same fan immediately spun up and sounded like it was running 100% again. Turned the car off to test, and it kept going, so I assume it just ran until the battery was fully drained. I got home and ended up pulling the negative cable to the battery so it wouldn't drain out again.

This red circled item on the right is the offending part.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrxengine.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	105564

After some research online it looks like it's the primary air pump, but I don't see a resolution for it, other than people recommending it just be pulled.

Is there a quick/easy fix I could do myself on this? Should I take it in to a mechanic?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on this? If it's a simple fix I'd prefer to do it myself, but I haven't really been able to find information online for it. Probably will have to break down and take it in soon otherwise.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like it's time to do an air pump delete! I'd try unplugging the air pump and plugging it back in first. Other than that, I've never seen this issue.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Sounds like it's time to do an air pump delete! I'd try unplugging the air pump and plugging it back in first. Other than that, I've never seen this issue.
    Cool, I'll give that a try when I get home.

I've been reading up on the Air Pump deletes a bit but am still kinda nervous about it. Other than potential cold start emission test issues, there really is no problem with just yanking the entire thing out?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vladmech View Post
    Cool, I'll give that a try when I get home.

I've been reading up on the Air Pump deletes a bit but am still kinda nervous about it. Other than potential cold start emission test issues, there really is no problem with just yanking the entire thing out?
    The air pump is there solely for the purpose of emissions. Subaru replaced the Up-pipe cats from the 2002-2005 WRX with the air pump to pass cold-start emissions. As long as you disable the CEL, there should be no performance issues with removing the air pump.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vladmech View Post
    Cool your jets on that. You have to buy the block off plates. They were $75 last time I checked and you can do it without removing the up-pipe, but I hear its a PITA. I'll do it here eventually.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I'd really want to know the root cause of why it's happening before just unplugging it to fix the problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

agree with teflon, no band-aid fixes

That's solid advice; I'll see if resetting it does the trick otherwise take it in to get it checked out. I am interested in the removal of it eventually, now, though. Anything that's not 'needed' should probably just get chucked :P

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'd really want to know the root cause of why it's happening before just unplugging it to fix the problem.
    I would too...but it could very well be a loose connection or something causing it to go haywire. Reseating the plug may fix the issue. I'd start there, it seems to be the simplest solution IMO.

Hmm so reseating it unfortunately did not resolve the issue. Battery is currently connected back up and the power is pulled from the air pump. I assume with things not properly blocked off this would not be a good configuration to drive around in?

Going to check fuses on the off chance it's that, but barring that I guess I'll have to zip it over to a mechanic to get it looked at.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

If the air pump is driven by a relay, maybe the relay is stuck closed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioac View Post
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram?

If the air pump is driven by a relay, maybe the relay is stuck closed.
    Even if a relay is closed, they are usually on switched power. Especially with components like that.