Break in period question

This is a discussion on Break in period question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend of mine who use to own a WRX tells me that during the 1000 break in period the ...

Break in period question

A friend of mine who use to own a WRX tells me that during the 1000 break in period the ECU limits boost, thus reducing power during this time. Is this accurate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nope. I'd find a new friend to take advice from...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Nope. I'd find a new friend to take advice from...

I Support ClubWRX
    It does beg the question though at least in my mind whether limiting timing and boost via firmware during certain conditions would be reasonably feasible. Say, coolant below 70' and oil below 70' could result in a timing or boost or simply RPM limit. This would make the car less appealing to bank robbers, kidnappers etc (I remember the Alfa 75, a quick nimble 4 door preferred by both sides of the law once upon a time as both a getaway and pursuit vehicle...), but would or could be otherwise interesting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It does beg the question though at least in my mind whether limiting timing and boost via firmware during certain conditions would be reasonably feasible. Say, coolant below 70' and oil below 70' could result in a timing or boost or simply RPM limit. This would make the car less appealing to bank robbers, kidnappers etc (I remember the Alfa 75, a quick nimble 4 door preferred by both sides of the law once upon a time as both a getaway and pursuit vehicle...), but would or could be otherwise interesting.

That's actually a really good idea.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not mine; I think at least one BMW does something similar but no boost is involved there.

Now I miss the Alfa 75!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah BMW is the only company I'm aware of that does this.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading