Weird engine idle issue

This is a discussion on Weird engine idle issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've had my 2011 wrx since april 2011 and it has always had this weird issue where the cars ...

Weird engine idle issue

So I've had my 2011 wrx since april 2011 and it has always had this weird issue where the cars rpms will drop below 500 right after it is revved or after coming to a stop and then go back uo and idle around 900 or 1k. It was always just annoying until today when backing out of a spot my car actually almost stalled (not my fault) because of this idle issue. Has anyone had this issue or know the cause and how do I fix it. My car is currently stg 2 with cobb intake and full tbe with a tp tune. I have like 25k on the odometer. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you running the correct map for stage 2 and the intake you have? What TBE do you have? Have you cleaned your MAF? Are you using the airbox with that intake or are you running the hot air version? So just to clarify, you've always had this issue, even before going stage 2?

The behavior you're describing isn't really abnormal for a manual car. Often the RPM will drop below the normal idle level after you rev it because of the loss in engine momentum causing it to drop, and the car taking a second to recognize this and correct it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yes ive always had this problem I have the correct map and no I don't have the air box

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I have this same problem as well. I mentioned it to Hill when he tuned my car and he said everything appeared normal and he didn't seem to concerned with it...my also occasionally stalls out when going in reverse...not alot but on average maybe once a month...I always wondered if my light weight flywheel might be causing it.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

BTW BK, don't be so sure about your last statement. Ever heard of disc brakes? They were around since the 40's I guess, but its use wasn't widespread until 20 or 30 years later. And the design has clear advantages over drum brakes! Heck, some cars still feature drum rear brakes!

I think something simmilar happened to Overdrive in auto transmissions...

What?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Thegrinch958 View Post
    Yes ive always had this problem I have the correct map and no I don't have the air box
    Without the air box, you're running a hot air intake. That means you're losing and not gaining power.

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    I have this same problem as well. I mentioned it to Hill when he tuned my car and he said everything appeared normal and he didn't seem to concerned with it...my also occasionally stalls out when going in reverse...not alot but on average maybe once a month...I always wondered if my light weight flywheel might be causing it.
    The LWFW certainly has something to do with that. It majorly affects your idle and shifting, especially going from a start.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

My intake temps on my logs have actually decreased a little since I out the cobb in and my power has gone up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2