Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blown turbo - '04 WRX Fix or sell? Need some guidance...

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Shplart 
#1 ·
Hey all, first post in a loonnngg time. So my Subie has thrown in the towel :( ...too make long story short my turbo has blown out. I have had a slight rattle / vibration sound coming from the exhaust for a while now. I assumed it was just the muffler and didn’t really think anything of it. If the turbo was going out or there was a problem w/ the uppipe (running both stock) could the sound resonate through the exhaust? I would hate like hell to replace the turbo and then have exhaust probs on top of that. I have a hunch that the stock uppipe may have been the turbo's demise but don’t know for sure yet. Current miles: 84K.

I'm debating on putting a used turbo in to sell it or install a new OEM and keep it. I don't want to upgrade the turbo if I go the new/keeping route, although now would be the ideal time. Running Cobb Stage 2 w/ Cobb TBE, intake and tuned via AccessPort. The biggest problem is I recently had the trans rebuilt as well as a the center differential. I also put fresh rubber on not too long ago. I've got the wrex at a local performance shop right now - they want $325 for a used turbo, $400 labor - no warranty. The used turbo has a 100k miles on it (kinda scary imo, BUT if I decide to sell the car I won’t drive it in the meantime as I can’t afford to blow the used one). Lookin at $1k plus for the new OEM turbo. If I decide to keep the car and have a new turbo installed I plan to go w/ Cobb's catless uppipe at the same time. Rather not get into a new car payment right now, besides i LOVE my Subie. Any words of advice from my fellow subiemates? Do i put more money into a car that's 8 yrs old? Thanks...Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you still driving the car with the blown turbo? It's entirely possible you're starting to get pieces of metal from the turbo into your engine and you're destroying it. It's also entirely possible your cat in your UP has come apart from running stage 2, and maybe also from having pieces of your turbo get into it, so that has gotten into your engine too.

You need to stop driving your car and take the turbo and UP off to see if you've wrecked your engine and not just your turbo.

It isn't really going to be good for your karma to put a turbo with 100k miles on it in there so you're giving somebody else your problems. Personally that would really bother my conscience, but maybe you're ok with it.

You can save yourself some money by just gutting you stock UP instead of spending hundreds on the Cobb part or somebody else's aftermarket one. In 20 minutes with a long screwdriver and a hammer you can gut your stocker. If you look around you should be able to find a low mileage OEM turbo to save yourself some money too. If the shop is unwilling to warranty parts they install I'd go somewhere else. Any reputable shop will warranty parts and repairs for at least 30 days, though it's not unusual for a shop to not warranty a used part. Where would they be sourcing the used turbo from?

What you should do really depends a lot on your financial situation. If you really don't want to get a new payment, and you really love your car, then it sounds like your decision is already made: Fix your car and drive it.

#3 ·
In the same post you state what's wrong yet ask what's wrong also. Has your turbo failed? Certain? Then check compression and if ok replace it since the motor could be OK. I'd buy used, hoping to find parts from a highly skilled enthisiast's car (read: from a wreck...) to save $.

Set a budget and stop throwing good money after bad beyond that. The limit is up to you; I'd go by blue book value X 40% or something I guess. DIY saves $.

#4 ·
After the turbo went out I got it over to the shop - about 30 miles away. I would assume the shop checked compression, but I will verify. No boost leaks, they said the turbo wont spin up at all. The car was running great just prior to losing power. The used turbo is from a Subie Shop - and in regards to selling it w/ a used turbo, i do agree w/ teflon - I'd def disclose that...

Great idea on the wrecks idea - thanks. Also I will look for a low mileage OEM -

#5 ·
You should be able to get a used turbo in decent condition for $150-$200, and it's not that hard to install.

Unusual that your turbo would have gone out at 84k miles though, most last well over 150k miles. I would try to see if it had oil starvation or something else happen to it.

#6 ·
The car has been burnin through oil, especailly as of late. No leaks, but you can smell it after drivin. I have to top off every so often. The shop told me that the failing turbo was burning up the oil, if not then I may have additional issues...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.