Emergency break does nothing

This is a discussion on Emergency break does nothing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if the emergancy brake would be an easy fix. First off, it moves incredibly easy, 0 effort ...

Emergency break does nothing

I was wondering if the emergancy brake would be an easy fix.

First off, it moves incredibly easy, 0 effort in the slightest way can move it all the way up, and when it is up the light goes off saying its on, but it doesn't help at all. I can't park on any slight hill unless I plan on rolling backwards, the only way it wouldn't roll back is if flat ground that wouldn't even roll back in just neutral.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The hand brake actuates a drum incorporated into the reverse side of each rear disc.

If your rear brakes are stock, you need to check the cable for integrity first, then you can consider adjusting the drum liners by using a ratcheting cogged wheel accessable through a small grommet on the inside of each rear disk. The lever itself also has a captive nut adjuster.

If your rear brakes are not stock -- and I find this more likely just guessing -- you need to find out what went wrong.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm pretty sure the brakes are all stock, I bought my car used around 6 months ago, and I haven't done anything to the brakes

I Support ClubWRX
    OK then it's plan A above. Still, if you pull a wheel and find something large or fancy or both back there (for example, look for pics of H6 upgrade brakes and see what they look like just in case) then it's plan B.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK then it's plan A above. Still, if you pull a wheel and find something large or fancy or both back there (for example, look for pics of H6 upgrade brakes and see what they look like just in case) then it's plan B.
    +1

Sounds like the cable might be loose.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"