New 03 WRX Owner - Daily Driver

This is a discussion on New 03 WRX Owner - Daily Driver within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been driving Subaru's for several years now, and just recently had the opportunity to purchase a WRX for ...

New 03 WRX Owner - Daily Driver

I have been driving Subaru's for several years now, and just recently had the opportunity to purchase a WRX for an incredible deal from a friend of mine.

I've been lurking the forums for a while now and figured I ought to join!

It is an 2003 WRX Sedan with 70K miles.

Mods: Aftermarket downpipe, catback exhaust, short ram intake, short throw shifter, springs, strut bars, wheels and tires, boost controller, fuel cut defencer.

The car is a daily driver for me, and I'm interested in using this car year-round for years to come. As of now, the boost controller is set to allow 1.79 hkpa, which I understand is dangerously high and can result in engine failure.

I'm looking to keep the car in its superb condition, even if it means returning several parts to stock.

Do you recommend removing the BOV, boost controller, and fuel cut defencer; and putting an oem bpv, and other stock parts back on? When I have the boost controller off, the acceleration is odd, it's hard to explain.

Or would you recommend just turning the boost controller on much lower?

Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have had my bugeye for almost 4 years now, I bought it with 49,000 miles on the clock. Needless to say I drive aot. I'm now at 163k and I'm a custom Cobb stage 2 map, with a mbc set to 20 psi, m2 header and up pipe, Cobb tbe, Cobb sf intake, greddy bov with many more mods and the car is very reliable and quick. She's an absolute blast to drive. Just watch your max boost and keep up with the maintenance and in return you will have (imo) one of the best vehicles!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dr steve brule View Post
    It is an 2003 WRX Sedan with 70K miles.

Mods: Aftermarket downpipe, catback exhaust, short ram intake, short throw shifter, springs, strut bars, wheels and tires, boost controller, fuel cut defencer.

The car is a daily driver for me, and I'm interested in using this car year-round for years to come. As of now, the boost controller is set to allow 1.79 hkpa, which I understand is dangerously high and can result in engine failure.

I'm looking to keep the car in its superb condition, even if it means returning several parts to stock.

Do you recommend removing the BOV, boost controller, and fuel cut defencer; and putting an oem bpv, and other stock parts back on? When I have the boost controller off, the acceleration is odd, it's hard to explain.

Or would you recommend just turning the boost controller on much lower?
    What tune is the car currently running to support those mods?

Yes, if your primary concern is reliability/longevity, then definitely remove the mods you listed and run just the exhaust. Is it catted or not? Also remove that intake and either buy an AEM cold air or go back to the stock airbox. The short ram is actually losing you power by sucking in hot engine compartment air.

What springs are on the car? Does it have struts to match the shorter springs?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Unfortunately no tune at the moment. I will remove the boost controller, fuel cut d, and bov.

No cat.

Struts are my next project.

I would have said "no" to said friend and ran.
    Remove all that Mr.Jones mentioned, return everything back to stock except the downpipe/exhaust and do a stage 2 custom tune.
    And until then, don't drive it.

Thanks for your help guys. The WRX is incredible shape and I got it for a steal.

I will need: restrictor pill, turbo lines, bpv, and what other parts to remove boost controller?