Overheated and now it won't start

This is a discussion on Overheated and now it won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Iwas driving my car on the freeway a few days ago and i looked down and noticed the temp gauge ...

Overheated and now it won't start

Iwas driving my car on the freeway a few days ago and i looked down and noticed the temp gauge was abnormally high, i pulled off to the side of the road and then my car just died. i let it cool off for aboout an hour and tried to start it back up and it would turn over just really sluggishly. i had it towed back to my place and tried to put a jump on it and it sounds like it wants to start up but it just wont fire up. What are your guys' thoughts? and it was smoking when it died on the side of the freeway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what color smoke? was there anti-freeze? was oil mixed in the rad...?

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait, why did it overheat in the first place?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This, tracking this down may mean solving the mystery.

Overheating isn't something that these cars take well, mind you. Just hope nothing bad happened internally.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

it was white smoke from what i saw, it was kinda dark out, i towed it back home and there were no leaks from what i saw, and the oil looked normal no discoloration or anything. and i had an engine swap done a few days ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Flat bed it back.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Engine swap a few days ago, eh? Time to send it back to them and tell them to fix it.

Personally, I'd also demand a complete engine check (compression, leak down) to make sure everything is in good, working order.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Incidentally, the engine swap was crucial info, something to say first etc. good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a blown head gasket.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Sounds like a blown head gasket.
    First thing that came to my mind...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    This.

This should not be a common occurrence.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

yeah i was afraid of that, i am taking it back next week and demanding an explanation and a fix!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You should look over your warranty on the new engine. And I wouldn't go in "demanding", at least not at first. I would call them right away and let them know what happened.. ask questions as to what they think may have happened, see if you can get an appointment to bring it back in to get fixed. Most places don't take kindly to demands, and the last thing you want to do is piss off the people that will potentially be fixing your engine for free.

I know my shop recently implemented a new warranty policy that they won't cover the engine if it has been overheated. That said, they will still do a diagnosis, and if the overheating was their fault then they would cover it.